Connect with us

Headlines News

Plateau: NANS says ‘no concrete steps by FG’ to protect lives

Published

on

Who will tell the President? Akande enlightens Tinubu on national issues requiring urgent attention

The National Association of Nigerian Students had called on the Federal Government to declare a day of national mourning for the recent killings in Plateau State.

It also said it was embarrassing that no one has been arrested in connection with the recent killings in Plateau State.

Chronicle NG reported earlier that over 60 people were killed in a Christmas Eve attack in 17 villages in the Barkin Ladi, Mangu, and Bokkos Local Government Areas of the state.

Plateau State map APCON private school. Independence Anniversary: Gunmen kill eight in Plateau attack

The attacks had also displaced over 10,000 people, many of whom were presently camped in churches, mosques, schools, and private residences.

President Bola Tinubu as well as other prominent individuals and groups had condemned the killings, even as the United Nations demanded a probe into the attack.

Advertisement

Reacting to the incident in a statement made available to our newsmen on Friday, the students’ bodies said, “We are saddened by the news of tens of worshippers who were brutally murdered in cold blood by blood-thirsty gunmen in Plateau State.”

In the statement by NANS Senate President, Ekundina Elvis, the association expressed concern that “ever since the news filtered into the media space, we find it highly embarrassing that the murderers are yet to be identified, arrested, and prosecuted in a law court.”

NANS blasts ASUU for joining strike

NANS said it also found it disturbing that “no concrete step has been taken by the government to honour the memories of those that were killed.”

Four killed as gunmen invades Plateau community

Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State

The association called on the government to protect the lives and property of the Nigerians, asking the ruling class to stop the condolence visitations.

“As an association, we want to say that with enough condolence visits by our ruling class, the government must make concerted efforts towards the protection of the lives and property of the Nigerian people.

“Conclusively, we charge the Federal Government to declare a day of national mourning while the Nigerian flag at all levels is flown at half mast,” the statement concluded.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Chronicle NG has reported that the invaders had threatened fresh attacks on a community in Plateau State, barely four days after the first massacre.

The Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the Middle Belt Forum, Stanley Kavwam, said in an interview with Arise TV on Thursday that the terrorists sent a letter of imminent attack to Pushit Community in the Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau, where he hails from.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Alabo Alfred, told The Punch News that the command was aware of the threat.

Police disclosed that Children aged between three and eight, were sold for between N300,000 and N600,000

Nigeria Police Force

“We have intelligence, but we are working on it,” the PPRO had said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2015 - 2024 ChronicleNG

Discover more from Chronicle.ng

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading