Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Wayne Rooney speaks after Birmingham City sack

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 2, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Wayne Rooney named Birmingham City manager Plymouth Argyle 
    Wayne Rooney has previously managed English clubs Derby County and Birmingham City manager 
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Sacked Birmingham City FC manager Wayne Rooney has admitted he underperformed as the club’s coach but believes he wasn’t given enough time to make an impact.

    The former England forward was fired on Tuesday after only 13 weeks in command after a disastrous run of nine defeats in 15 games.

    Rooney, 38, stated that ‘it will take me some time to get over this “setback” and that he intends to spend time with his wife Coleen and their children while looking for his next job.

    In a statement, he said, “I would like to thank Tom Wagner, Tom Brady, and Garry Cook for the opportunity to manage Birmingham City FC and the support they all gave me during my short period with the club.

    “Football is a results business, and I recognize they have not been at the level I wanted them to be. However, time is the most precious commodity a manager requires, and I do not believe 13 weeks was sufficient to oversee the changes that were needed.

    “Personally, it will take me some time to get over this setback. I have been involved in professional football, as either a player or manager, since I was 16.

    “Now, I plan to take some time with my family as I prepare for the next opportunity in my journey as a manager.

    “Finally, I wish Birmingham City FC and its owners my best wishes in the pursuit of their ambitions.”

    Birmingham have had the worst record in the Championship since Rooney took over for John Eustace in October. They earned 10 points out of a possible 45, losing nine and winning two.

    On Tuesday morning, the futures of fellow employees Ashley Cole, John O’Shea, and Pete Shuttleworth were being decided.

    Rooney had promised to battle on following Monday’s 3-0 loss at Leeds, but workers were summoned to a meeting at the club’s training complex on Tuesday and informed that Rooney would be fired.

    The decision to select Rooney will undoubtedly go down as one of the worst in the club’s history.

    Birmingham City was sixth on the log when he was chosen to succeed Eustace in October. He exits with the Blues only six points above the relegation zone and the division’s poorest record at that time.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Fernandes

    Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Xabi Alonso agrees four-year deal as Chelsea manager — Fabrizio Romano

    Manchester City FA Cup Final Winners 2026

    BREAKING: Man City beat Chelsea to win FA Cup for seventh time

    Mexico teachers to protest during world cup

    Mexico: Teachers threaten World Cup protests over salary proposal

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.