Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Teachers carrying placards during a peaceful protest in Ogbomoso over the kidnapping of teachers and students in Oyo State.

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    May 20, 2026
    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    • Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools
    • CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate
    • ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach
    • Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner
    • Two-storey building collapses in Anambra
    • AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Sevilla sack Vincenzo Montella despite Champions League heroics

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 29, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Sevilla has sacked Vincenzo Montella after a bad run of results
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Sevilla has sacked Vincenzo Montella after a bad run of results

    Vincenzo Montella has been sacked by Sevilla after a “bad run of results” which includes a 5-0 loss to Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final.

    The 43-year-old was sacked by AC Milan in November before being appointed by the La Liga side on 28 December.



    Montella guided Sevilla to their first ever semi final in the Champions League. The Spanish outfit lost 2-1 on aggregate to Bayern Munich.

    But defeat to Levante on Friday left Sevilla without a win since knocking Manchester United out in the Champions League last-16, a run of nine games.

    Ex-Sevilla boss Joaquin Caparros will take over until the end of the season.

    “Sevilla FC have dismissed Vincenzo Montella after the side’s bad run of results since winning last in Old Trafford on the 13th of March,” a club statement read.

    READ: Steven Gerrard accepts Rangers manager job

    “Caparros will lead the team in the 2017/18 run-in and will then stay linked with the club in a role which had already been determined once Sevilla’s sporting structure had been reorganised.”

    The former Fiorentina coach Montella was assured of his position until the end of the season in midweek when club president Jose Castro sacked sporting director Oscar Arias.

    But defeat to 17th-placed Levante took Montella’s record to 11 wins from 28 games in charge and left Sevilla seventh in La Liga.

    Caparros, 62, took charge of Sevilla between 2000 and 2005, winning promotion back to the top flight in 2001.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    Super Eagles of Nigeria players pose for photo before a match.

    Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers

    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    lMaresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Arsenal close in on Premier League title after Havertz sinks Burnley

    Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Teachers carrying placards during a peaceful protest in Ogbomoso over the kidnapping of teachers and students in Oyo State.

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    May 20, 2026
    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.