Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’
    • ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai
    • APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    • Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Premier League clubs complain about Saudi takeover of Newcastle

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 9, 2021No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Newcastle United
    Newcastle United
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Top-flight clubs have complained to the Premier League after it cleared the £305m takeover of Newcastle by a Saudi Arabian-backed group.

    There is understood to be frustration from clubs about how the deal passed the owners’ and directors’ test.

    Concerns also arose as to why they were not kept informed after the surprise news emerged on Wednesday.

    Additionally, there are worries as to how Saudi Arabian owners will reflect on the league itself.

    There are many human rights issues linked to the kingdom.

    Newcastle part-owner Staveley on hopes moving forward

    Clubs are demanding a meeting with the Premier League, which has previously said the takeover process would remain confidential.

    There is irritation with the Premier League board from all 19 other clubs, who are united in a view they should have been kept updated on an issue of such significance.

    • Saudi-led takeover of Newcastle ‘heartbreaking’ – Khashoggi’s fiancee

    The clubs also feel they should have been told what had changed to allow the deal to proceed before it was completed.

    When approving the takeover on Thursday, the Premier League said it has received legal assurances from the new owners that the Saudi state would not control Newcastle United and there would be punishments if it was proven otherwise.

    The takeover was 80% financed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, whose chair is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

    Western intelligence agencies say he ordered the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, an allegation Bin Salman denies.

    Following Thursday’s takeover, Amanda Staveley, Newcastle’s director, told BBC sports editor Dan Roan that PCP Capital took concerns over Saudi Arabia’s human rights record “very seriously” but reiterated that their partner “is not that Saudi state, it’s PIF”.

    When asked if this was a case of ‘sportswashing’ by Saudi Arabia, she said: “No, not at all, this is very much about the PIF’s investment into a fantastic football team and we look forward to growing the club.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    Foden, Palmer miss out on England World Cup squad

    Phil Foden, Cole Palmer out of England World Cup squad, Toney, Mainoo, Madueke in

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.