Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    February 21, 2026
    Cameroon arrests five Nigerian pastor over politician’s abduction

    Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom

    February 21, 2026
    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos
    • Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom
    • Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today
    • Terrorists kill over 50 in Zamfara
    • Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Neymar face five years in prison over Barcelona transfer

    Michael RightBy Michael RightOctober 14, 2022No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Neymar
    La Liga has rejected an attempt by lawyers for Barcelona forward Neymar to pay his buyout clause of 222m euros (£198m)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A Brazilian investment firm has called for Neymar to face a five-year prison sentence when he stands trial next week on fraud and corruption charges relating to his transfer to Barcelona from Santos in 2013.

    DIS, which owned 40% of the rights to the Brazil forward at the time, argues it lost out because the transfer fee was undervalued.

    Neymar, 30, has denied the allegations but lost an appeal in Spain’s High Court in 2017, leading to the trial being brought by Spanish prosecutors.

    The Paris St-Germain player will have to appear in-person for the first day of the trail in Barcelona on Monday, the court said, but it is unclear if he will be asked to stay for the entire hearing that could last two weeks.

    • Manchester City turned down chance to sign Neymar

    The other defendants are Neymar’s parents, the two clubs, former Barcelona presidents Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell, and former Santos president Odilio Rodrigues.

    Rosell has also previously denied any wrongdoing.

    DIS acquired a percentage of Neymar’s rights when he was 17, in exchange for 2m euros.

    Barcelona said at the time of Neymar’s move that the transfer fee was 57.1m euros, of which 40m euros was paid to his family.

    The investment firm received a 40% share of the remaining 17.1m euros that was paid to Brazilian club Santos.

    “Neymar’s rights have not been sold to the highest bidder,” DIS lawyer Paulo Nasser told a news conference in Barcelona on Thursday. “There were clubs that offered up to 60m euros.”

    As well as the five-year jail term demand, DIS is also requesting prison sentences for Rosell and Bartomeu, and a 149m euros fine.

    Spanish prosecutors want a two-year prison term for the PSG star and the payment of a 10m euros fine and a five-year jail term for Rosell, plus an 8.4m euros fine for Barcelona.

    BBC

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    Club Brugge netted a thrilling late equalizer while battling back twice against Atletico Madrid, leaving their Champions League knockout phase play-off tie finely balanced.

    UCL: Club Brugge score late equalizer against Atletico Madrid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    February 21, 2026
    Cameroon arrests five Nigerian pastor over politician’s abduction

    Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom

    February 21, 2026
    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    February 21, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill over 50 in Zamfara

    February 21, 2026
    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.