Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs named Wales manager

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 15, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Ryan Giggs was arrested for assault
    Ryan Giggs was arrested for assault
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Ryan Giggs has been named Wales manager

    Ryan Giggs has been appointed Wales manager on a four-year contract.

    The 44-year-old former Manchester United winger succeeds Chris Coleman, who left for Sunderland in November.

    Coleman’s assistant Osian Roberts, former Wales striker Craig Bellamy and Mark Bowen were also interviewed.

    Giggs had long been a target for the Football Association of Wales (FAW) and was the favourite for the role once Coleman departed after Wales failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

    ‘I can’t wait to start’ – Giggs

    The FAW confirmed the appointment on social media and in a statement Giggs said: “I am so proud to have been given the honour of managing the national team.

    “The challenges that we have ahead of us with the Nations League and qualification for Uefa Euro 2020 excite me a great deal.

    READ: Pioneer black footballer Cyrille Regis dies aged 59

    “I can’t wait to start working with the players as we prepare for those crucial games later in the year.”

    FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford said: “With his vast amount of experience having played, coached and managed the biggest club in the world, we are confident of a successful future for our national team.”

    ‘Ferguson to blame for Giggs’ lack of Wales friendlies’

    Giggs won 64 caps between 1991 and 2007 and captained his country – but he was criticised for regularly pulling out of squads and especially for missing friendly matches.

    Before Giggs’ appointment former team-mate Clayton Blackmore told BBC Sport Wales their former boss Sir Alex Ferguson had been responsible for the no-shows.

    The Manchester United great was in caretaker charge of the Red Devils for four games at the end of the 2013-14 season following the sacking of David Moyes.

    He spent the next two seasons as Louis van Gaal’s assistant, but left after Jose Mourinho was appointed manager at Old Trafford.
    Losing out to Bradley at Swansea

    Giggs lost out on the Swansea job to Bob Bradley after being interviewed for the manager’s role at the Liberty Stadium in October 2016.

    It is understood Bellamy and Roberts, who is the FAW’s technical director, also had their supporters at Welsh football’s governing body.

    Bellamy, 38, won 78 caps and is the country’s fourth most-capped player.

    The former Newcastle, Liverpool and Blackburn forward is currently an academy coach at Cardiff City, where he ended his playing career in 2014.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    Club Brugge netted a thrilling late equalizer while battling back twice against Atletico Madrid, leaving their Champions League knockout phase play-off tie finely balanced.

    UCL: Club Brugge score late equalizer against Atletico Madrid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.