Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    February 19, 2026
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Kane scores four as Spurs thrash Shakhtar

    David GreatBy David GreatAugust 6, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Bayern Munich Tottenham's Harry Kane is now the third highest goal scorer
    Harry Kane has one year left on his Tottenham contract
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Harry Kane scored four goals in Tottenham Hotspur’s 5-1 pre-season friendly win at home to Shakhtar Donetsk on Sunday as speculation over the England captain’s future intensified.

    Kane has entered the final 12 months of his six-year Spurs contract and has been courted aggressively by Bayern Munich, with the German giants reported to have lodged their latest bid for the forward on Friday.

    But with Spurs holding firm so far during the pre-season transfer window the 30-year-old Kane showed no sign of being distracted while scoring a hat-trick in 55 minutes against Shakhtar in what was new manager Ange Postecoglou’s first match at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

    • Maddison urges Kane to snub Bayern Munich interest

    Australian boss Postecoglou was given a rousing reception by the Spurs faithful and the noise increased when it was announced Kane would captain the north London side in the absence of Hugo Lloris.

    Kane, Tottenham’s all-time record scorer, had two early shots saved, before opening his account with a 38th-minute penalty after James Maddison had been brought down in the area.

    harry kane
    Harry Kane being subbed off after scoring four goals against Shakhtar Donetsk

    The Ukrainian visitors equalised on the brink of half-time through Kevin Kelsy’s close-range header.

    But Kane was soon back on the goal trail when he headed in a cross from fellow England international Maddison in the 50th minute.

    He completed his treble five minutes later when Son Heung-Min found Dejan Kulusevski, who slipped the ball between Mykola Matviyenko’s legs, with Kane shooting powerfully into the bottom corner.

    Lifelong Spurs fan Kane had already heard several renditions of “he’s one of our own” before his hat-trick but a section of the crowd chanted “we want you to stay” after his third goal”.

    Kane completed his haul for the day when he followed up from close range in the 79th minute after substitute Manor Solomon’s curled shot was saved.

    Postecoglou replaced the Tottenham talisman a minute later and Kane left the pitch to a standing ovation before responding with applause to all four corners of the ground.

    Spurs academy graduate Dane Scarlett came on for Kane and scored with the last kick of the game.

    The full-time whistle followed and Kane walked over on his own to each side of the stadium to clap the fans, with Tottenham supporters desperately hoping this low-key affair was not his last game for the club.

     

    AFP

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    Club Brugge netted a thrilling late equalizer while battling back twice against Atletico Madrid, leaving their Champions League knockout phase play-off tie finely balanced.

    UCL: Club Brugge score late equalizer against Atletico Madrid

    Bodo/Glimt

    Bodo/Glimt get shocking 3-1 UCL victory over Inter Milan

    Arsenal Gabriel and Martin Odegaard react after the 3-3 draw against Southampton at the Emirates Stadium REUTERS/Hannah Mckay

    Arsenal waste lead to draw last-place Wolves 2-2

    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    February 19, 2026
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.