Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    • Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Joining Juventus is ‘crowning moment’ of career – Sarri

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJune 20, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Maurizio Sarri is shown around the Juventus stadium by vice chairman Pavel Nedved
    Maurizio Sarri is shown around the Juventus stadium by vice chairman Pavel Nedved
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Maurizio Sarri is shown around the Juventus stadium by vice chairman Pavel Nedved
    Maurizio Sarri is shown around the Juventus stadium by vice chairman Pavel Nedved

    Former Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri says joining Serie A champions Juventus is the “crowning moment” of his 29-year coaching career.

    The Italian, 60, joined Chelsea from Napoli in 2018, but left the club last week to return to Italy after just one season in charge.

    Sarri takes in his new home ????#WelcomeSarri pic.twitter.com/8mIj9Dso20

    — JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) June 20, 2019

    Speaking at his first news conference, Sarri said he wanted to help Cristiano Ronaldo continue to break records.

    He also addressed criticism from Napoli fans that he was a “traitor”.

    Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici said Sarri “has always been the first choice” for the job.

    “I gave everything to Napoli,” said Sarri, speaking at the Allianz Stadium in Turin, dressed in a club suit and tie.

    “Then I had a doubt and my feeling was my journey there was over. I received proposals from other clubs and decided to go abroad and not pass from one Italian club to another.

    “I had a wonderful experience in the Premier League but then I felt a professional and personal need to come back to Italy.

    “Juventus are the best Italian club at the moment; they offered me the opportunity to return to Italy. It is the crowning achievement of a long career, that for 80% of it was extremely tough.”

    Sarri led Chelsea to third in the Premier League and won the Europa League – the first trophy of his career.

    READ: Femi Kuti to perform at AFCON 2019

    But throughout his time at Stamford Bridge there was repeated speculation about his position, with Chelsea fans expressing their discontent at tactics and team selections.

    “I arrive with scepticism, just as I did with all my other clubs,” he added. “I understand that, but I know only one way to change that and that is to win and convince while entertaining and getting results.”

    Maurizio Sarri has held his first press conference since joining Juventus from Chelsea
    Maurizio Sarri has held his first press conference since joining Juventus from Chelsea

    Sarri succeeds Massimiliano Allegri, who won the league title in each of his five seasons at Juventus since taking charge in 2014.

    But Italian Allegri failed to win the Champions League and reached the quarter-finals last season despite signing Ronaldo last summer for £99.2m.

    “Juventus will go there to win [the Champions League], but we are aware there are eight or nine other teams who are in the same situation,” said Sarri.

    Sarri managed Napoli for three seasons from 2015 to 2018 and has been criticised for moving to their rivals.

    “[At Napoli] my first thought was to defeat Juventus, my moral duty was to defeat them. I gave 110%. We didn’t succeed but that was a sporting rivalry and my professionalism will be to give my best for this club.

    “What I did in the past was sometimes achieved with the wrong words and methods, but they could be appreciated from an intellectual point of view.”

    Sarri said working with five-time Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo, the club’s top scorer last season with 27 goals, would be “moving on to the next level”.

    “This is a player with every record in world football and I’d like to help him set another,” he said.

    He was also asked if he would wear a suit or his favoured tracksuit on the sidelines.

    “I would prefer not to wear the suit and tie on the pitch. The important thing at my age is that they don’t send me out there naked,” he joked.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    Super Eagles of Nigeria players pose for photo before a match.

    Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers

    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    lMaresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.