Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    English Premier League terminates China broadcasting contract

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 3, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    The Premier League's financial rules allow clubs to lose up to £105m over a three-year cycle
    Premier League
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The English Premier League on Thursday announced it has cancelled its contract with Chinese broadcasters PPLive Sports International after just one season.

    The broadcasters, part of retail group Suning, paid around 700 million dollars for three years of English Premier League (EPL) streaming rights from the 2019/2020 season.

    “The Premier League confirms that it has today (Thursday) terminated its agreements for Premier League coverage in China with its licensee in that territory.

    “The Premier League will not be commenting further on the matter at this stage,” the league said in a statement.

    READ ALSO: Manchester United Negotiating With Thiago Alcantara

    It had been reported last month that the Chinese broadcasters had withheld payments due to the league in March.

    In a statement posted on their official company Weibo account, PPLive Sports International said that it had held negotiations over the price of the rights with the league.

    “COVID-19 has brought many challenges, and it’s especially obvious during broadcasting rights negotiations,” the statement said.

    “After rounds of meetings, PPLive Sports and the Premier League have a disagreement on the price of broadcasting rights. We regret we couldn’t have an agreement with the Premier League.

    “The direction of PPLive Sports’ strategic development will not change. Broadcasting rights strategy adjustment is based on objective reality and strategic thinking.

    “PPLive Sports will continue to dedicate itself to providing high quality services to fans, copyright holders and partners.”

    The deal with PPLive Sports International was struck during the peak interest of China in international football and marked a huge increase in revenue on the previous deal.

    Beijing-based Super Sports Media was the previous rights-holder in China.

    Local media reports have suggested they paid more than 1 billion yuan (145.13 million dollars) for a six-year deal until the end of the 2018/2019 season.

    The ending of the PPLive Sports International deal is a further loss of income for Premier League clubs following the coronavirus outbreak, which forced a stoppage in play lasting several months.

    The League resumed games in June and July without fans.

    Reuters/NAN

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Fernandes

    Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Xabi Alonso agrees four-year deal as Chelsea manager — Fabrizio Romano

    Manchester City FA Cup Final Winners 2026

    BREAKING: Man City beat Chelsea to win FA Cup for seventh time

    Mexico teachers to protest during world cup

    Mexico: Teachers threaten World Cup protests over salary proposal

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.