Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    May 18, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail
    • Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher
    • Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return
    • Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica
    • Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale
    • Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action
    • Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Alcaraz withdraws from Spain’s Davis Cup team, says he needs rest

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedSeptember 10, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Alcaraz beat Djokovic to retain Wimbledon title
    Alcaraz beats Djokovic in thriller for his first Wimbledon title
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz has pulled out of this month’s Davis Cup to recover following his U.S. Open semi-final loss, the world number one said on Saturday.

    Alcaraz, the defending champion at New York, exited this year’s final major after suffering a defeat to third seed Daniil Medvedev of Russia on Friday.

    Albert Ramos-Vinolas, who is 20 years old, will take Alcaraz’s place in the Spain team.

    “I was really looking forward to playing for Spain at the Davis Cup in Valencia, but I have to listen to my body after a very long tour,” Alcaraz said on messaging platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

    “I need to stop and rest, physically and mentally. The schedule is very demanding; there is still a long season ahead, and now it’s time to recharge my batteries. Best of luck to the Spanish team! I will be supporting you strongly! Let’s go!”

    The 35-year-old Ramos-Vinolas, currently ranked 88th, has been called by captain David Ferrer, who won the Davis Cup as a player on three occasions with Spain, lifting the trophy in 2008, 2009, and 2011, as well as a runners-up finish in 2012.

    • Djokovic defeats Alcaraz to win Cincinnati Open

    “Ramos was already called up for last year’s Final Eight in Malaga. This year he has been a finalist in Gstaad and a semi-finalist in Cordoba, as well as reaching the quarter-finals in Rio de Janeiro and the ATP Challenger in Parma,” the country’s tennis federation (RFET) said in a statement.

    In the Davis Cup, he has played five Davis Cup ties with a record of six wins and only two defeats.”

    Sixteen teams will compete in the group stage from Sept. 12–17 across Bologna, Manchester, Valencia, and Split. The top two teams from each group will qualify for the knockout stage from November 21–26 in Malaga.

    Spain will play Serbia, the Czech Republic, and South Korea in Group C in Valencia.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Fernandes

    Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Xabi Alonso agrees four-year deal as Chelsea manager — Fabrizio Romano

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    May 18, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    May 18, 2026
    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.