Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Yahaya Bello evades EFCC arrest

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJanuary 30, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Yahaya Bello Faces Backlash over use of Kogi State letterhead in letter to army chief
    Former governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Yahaya Bello, the immediate past governor of Kogi State, is currently in hiding and on Monday cancelled his trip to Okene town in order not to “expose” himself to operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), who are on the lookout for him.

    Top government sources said Yahaya Bello was still at the Government House, Lokoja, where he could enjoy the “protection” of his predecessor and godson, Usman Ododo, while other sources claimed his whereabouts are unknown.

    The EFCC concluded plans to probe Yahaya Bello for alleged fraud and corrupt practices he was involved in during his eight-year tenure.

    It had been learned that the commission would invite Yahaya Bello for questioning to account for his eight years of administration.

    Chronicle NG reported on Saturday how Bello’s tenure ended as the youngest governor in Kogi State as Usman Ododo, his godson, succeeded him.

    • N10bn: How Yayaha Bello’s nephew, others withdrew money from Kogi govt account

    A top source said, “EFCC is currently after Yahaya Bello. He was meant to go to Okene, but when he heard of their presence, he cancelled it and is hiding in Government House, Lokoja, currently, Saharareporters reported Tuesday.”

    “He’s clearly attempting to evade arrest, and he may have also left the Government House,” another source said.

    It had been reported that Justice Nicholas Oweibo of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, struck out the commission’s suit seeking the forfeiture of 14 properties belonging to Yahaya Bello as well as the sum of N400 million linked to him, citing his immunity from prosecution under the 1999 constitution.

    The Commission’s notice of appeal stated that Justice Oweibo erred in law when he dismissed the suit because the respondent’s immunity from civil or criminal proceedings during his tenure as governor of Kogi State does not extend to properties reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime traced to him.

    To add to that, it said the court made a mistake and harmed justice by not following the Court of Appeal’s decision in EFCC v. Fayose (2018) LPELR 44131 CA and the Supreme Court’s decision in Fawehinmi v. IGP (2002) 7 NWLR (PT767) 606 about how to correctly interpret Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution.

    The EFCC also said that the trial court made a legal mistake when it overturned a preservation order for properties that were thought to have been bought with money from illegal activities, even though the respondent had not shown where the money that was used to buy the properties under the preservation order really came from.

    On Wednesday, February 22, 2023, Justice Oweibo granted an interim forfeiture of the properties in Lagos, Abuja, and the United Arab Emirates and also ordered the preservation of the sum of N400,000,000.00 (four hundred million naira) recovered from one Aminu Falala, which “is reasonably suspected to have been derived from unlawful activity and intended to be used for the acquisition of Plot No. 1224 Bishop Oluwole Street, Victoria.”

    Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, counsel to the EFCC, moved the application, stating that the properties, including “Hotel Apartment Community, Burj Khalifa lying, being and situate at, Plot 160 Municipality NO 345-7562, Sky View Building No 1, Property No 401, Floor 4, Dubai UAE,” were reasonably suspected to have been derived from illegal activity.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.