Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    US court stops Trump’s plan for rapid deportation to third countries

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoApril 18, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.
    US President Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A US judge has blocked the Trump administration from quickly deporting thousands of migrants to countries other than their own without first providing them the opportunity to demonstrate that they fear being persecuted, tortured, or killed there.

    On Friday, U.S. District Judge Brian Murphy issued a preliminary injunction, the latest setback to President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown that began on January 20.

    The Boston-based judge last month temporarily banned the administration from fast-tracking deportations, hampering its ability to remove migrants who in certain circumstances have legal protections barring them from being deported back to their countries of origin.

    The provisional injunction ordered on Friday will remain in force until the dispute is completed.

    In court files, the administration has already stated that it will appeal Murphy’s judgement.

    When deciding on challenges to government policies, federal judges frequently issue orders that apply nationally.

    Stymied by such results, the Trump administration has already petitioned the United States Supreme Court to limit nationwide injunctions to merely those filing the case.

    The ruling mandates the US Department of Homeland Security to provide individuals with a “meaningful opportunity” to seek legal relief from deportation before sending them to other nations.

    “The Court has found it likely that these deportations have or will be wrongfully executed and that there has at least been no opportunity for Plaintiffs to demonstrate the substantial harms they might face,” wrote Murphy, an appointee of the former US president Joe Biden.

    The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately reply to calls for comment.

    According to Anwen Hughes of Human Rights First, a lawyer representing the plaintiffs, many of those deported to third countries are refugees who have been granted protection from persecution or torture if they return to their home countries.

    “The protections the court has ordered here are critical to make sure DHS does not turn around and ship them to a third country where they would face the same harms,” Hughes said.

    In the fiscal year 2023, 1,769 people subject to final orders of removal were granted limited kinds of protection against return to countries where their lives or freedom would be jeopardised or where they faced the risk of torture.

    In February, the US Department of Homeland Security directed immigration agents to evaluate cases of those granted such safeguards from deportation to their home countries to determine whether they may be re-detained and transported to a third country.

    Immigrant rights organisations sued on behalf of a number of migrants trying to avoid deportation to newly specified locations.

    Judge Murphy expressed worry that without a court order, the government may conduct deportations in violation of the Convention Against Torture.

    “Even if such blanket assurances might, in some individual cases, satisfy due process, the March Guidance precludes any further review prior to removal,” he wrote. “Without meaningful review, the rights Congress has provided are little more than dead letters.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.