Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    May 23, 2026
    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    May 23, 2026
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy
    • INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action
    • WHO loses member country as Argentina quits
    • 2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries
    • Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election
    • Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister
    • ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition
    • NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Turkey’s Erdogan expels ten ambassadors for supporting dissenter

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 23, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Turkey: President Erdogan to be sworn in for 3rd term
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he has ordered 10 ambassadors, including those from the US and France, be declared “persona non grata”.

    It follows a statement from the envoys calling for the urgent release of activist Osman Kavala.

    He has been in jail for more than four years over protests and a coup attempt, although he has not been convicted.

    Persona non grata can remove diplomatic status and often results in expulsion or withdrawal of recognition of envoys.

    This week’s statement on Mr Kavala jointly came from the embassies of the US, Canada, France, Finland, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and Sweden.

    The Council of Europe, Europe’s main human rights watchdog, has given Turkey a final warning to heed a European Court of Human Rights ruling to free Mr Kavala pending trial.

    Addressing a crowd in Eskisehir on Saturday, Mr Erdogan said the ambassadors “cannot dare to come to the Turkish foreign ministry and give orders”.

    He said: “I gave the necessary order to our foreign minister and said what must be done. These 10 ambassadors must be declared persona non grata at once. You will sort it out immediately.”

    • Turkish terrorists still active in Nigeria – Erdogan

    However, what will happen now remains unclear.

    Mr Erdogan said the envoys should either understand Turkey or leave, Turkish media reported.

    There has been little response from the ambassadors so far, although the Norwegian foreign ministry told Reuters its envoy had “not done anything that warrants an expulsion”.

    The foreign ministry had summoned the ambassadors on Tuesday to protest at their “irresponsible” statement on the Kavala case.

    The embassies’ statement had criticised the “continuing delays” in Osman Kavala’s trial, which “cast a shadow over respect for democracy, the rule of law and transparency in the Turkish judiciary system”.

    It urges a speedy resolution and calls for “Turkey to secure his urgent release”.

    Mr Kavala was last year acquitted of charges over nationwide protests in 2013, but almost immediately rearrested.

    The acquittal was overturned and new charges were added relating to the military coup attempt against the Erdogan government in 2016.

    Mr Kavala denies any wrongdoing and critics of the Erdogan government say his case is an example of a widespread crackdown on dissent.

    Earlier this week, Mr Erdogan defended Turkey’s judicial system, saying: “I told our foreign minister: We can’t have the luxury of hosting this lot in our country. Is it for you to give Turkey such a lesson? Who do you think you are?”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    May 23, 2026
    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    May 23, 2026
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    May 23, 2026
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.