Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    May 18, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail
    • Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher
    • Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return
    • Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica
    • Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale
    • Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action
    • Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump speaks after shooting incident, says he is ‘supposed to be dead’

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJuly 15, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    US man kills family members, commits suicide after Trump’s victory
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    US presidential candidate Donald Trump has stated that he is “supposed to be dead” following Saturday night’s assassination attempt at a rally in Pennsylvania. 

    In one of his first interviews after the incident, Mr. Trump told conservative US media that he believed he had been saved “by luck or by God.”

    “The most incredible thing was that I happened to not only turn [my head] but to turn at the exact right time and in just the right amount,” he said, adding that the bullet that grazed his ear could have easily killed him.

    “I’m supposed to be dead; I’m not supposed to be here,” he said.

    A spectator was killed in the attack, while two others were critically injured.

    Thomas Matthew Crooks, the gunman, has also died.

    “The energy coming from the people there in that moment, they just stood there. It’s hard to describe what that felt like, but I knew the world was looking.

    “I knew that history would judge this, and I knew I had to let them know we were OK,” he told the Washington Examiner. ”

    Mr. Trump claimed he now had a “chance to bring the country together” as he prepared to board an aircraft to the forthcoming Republican National Convention (RNC) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he is anticipated to be confirmed as the party’s presidential nominee.

    He stated that his address will now be completely different than the “humdinger” directed mostly at current President Joe Biden’s programmes that he had originally planned.

    “Had [Saturday’s attack] not happened, this would’ve been one of the most incredible speeches.

    “Honestly, it’s going to be a whole different speech now. It is a chance to bring the country together.”

    Earlier, Mr. Trump announced on his social media network, Truth Social, that he planned to postpone his trip to Wisconsin by two days.

    However, he stated that he was sticking to his original itinerary because “I cannot allow a’shooter,’ or potential assassin, to force a change to scheduling”.

    Mr. Trump stated that the assassination attempt “has had an impact” on him.

    Crooks, the 20-year-old would-be assassin who was shot dead by the Secret Service at the spot, had a mysterious purpose.

    The FBI stated that, while its investigation indicated Crooks acted alone, it would continue to investigate if the kitchen worker received assistance.

    The spectator slain in Saturday’s attack has been identified as Corey Comperatore, a 50-year-old volunteer fire chief who died while protecting his family.

    Following the incident, President Biden issued a televised statement urging the “temperature of politics” to be cooled.

    “We cannot, must not, go down this road again. We’ve travelled it before in our history,” said Mr. Biden, listing off a growing number of violent political acts that have taken place in the US in recent years.

    “In America, we resolve our differences at the ballot box,” he added. “At the ballot box. Not with bullets.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    May 18, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    May 18, 2026
    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.