Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Jonathan lauds Gowon over NYSC scheme, civil war reconciliation

    May 19, 2026
    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan 2027 bid

    AGF, Jonathan oppose 2027 eligibility suit

    May 19, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu era records $8bn capital spending milestone – IMPI

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Jonathan lauds Gowon over NYSC scheme, civil war reconciliation
    • AGF, Jonathan oppose 2027 eligibility suit
    • Tinubu era records $8bn capital spending milestone – IMPI
    • Togo grants visa-free entry to all African citizens
    • Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager
    • Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister
    • Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket
    • San Diego mosque shooting kills three
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    South Africa discovers new deadly COVID-19 variant with many mutations

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 26, 2021No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    COVID-19 health workers burying the dead
    COVID-19 health workers conveying a dead patient
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Scientists in South Africa said Thursday they had detected a new Covid-19 variant with a large number of mutations, blaming it for a surge in infection numbers.

    The number of daily infections in Africa’s hardest-hit country has increased tenfold since the start of the month.

    “Unfortunately we have detected a new variant which is a reason for concern in South Africa,” virologist Tulio de Oliveira told a hastily-called news conference.

    The variant, which goes by the scientific lineage number B.1.1.529, “has a very high number of mutations,” he said, expressing hope that the World Health Organization will give it a Greek name on Friday.

    “It’s unfortunately causing a resurgence of infections,” he said.

    The variant has also been detected in Botswana and Hong Kong among travellers from South Africa, he added.

    The WHO said it is “closely monitoring” the reported variant and is expected to convene a technical meeting on Friday to determine if it should be designated a variant of “interest” or of “concern”.

    “Early analysis shows that this variant has a large number of mutations that require and will undergo further study,” the WHO added.

    • COVID-19: WHO records 5 million deaths worldwide

    ‘A major threat’

    South African Health Minister Joe Phaahla said the variant was of “serious concern” and behind an “exponential” increase in reported cases, making it “a major threat”.

    The country’s daily number of infections hit 1,200 on Wednesday, up from 106 earlier in the month.

    Before the detection of the new variant, authorities had predicted a fourth wave to hit South Africa starting around the middle of December, buoyed by travel ahead of the festive season.

    The government-run National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) said 22 positive cases of the B.1.1.529 variant have been recorded in the country following genomic sequencing.

    The NICD said the number of detected cases and the percentage testing positive are “increasing quickly” in three of the country’s provinces including Gauteng, home to the economic hub Johannesburg and the capital Pretoria.

    A cluster outbreak was recently identified, concentrated at a higher education institute in Pretoria, the NICD added.

    Last year South Africa also detected the Beta variant of the virus, although until now its infection numbers have been driven by the Delta variant, which was originally detected in India.

    The country has the highest pandemic numbers in Africa with around 2.95 million cases, of which 89,657 have been fatal.

    Ten mutations

    Scientists said the new B.1.1.529 variant has at least 10 mutations, compared to two for Delta or three for Beta.

    “The concern is that when you have so many mutations, it can have an impact on how the virus behaves,” Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on Covid-19, said at a virtual press briefing.

    “It will take a few weeks for us to understand what impact this variant has on any potential vaccines,” she added.

    Neutralising the variant is “complicated by the number of mutations this variant” contains, said one of the South African scientists Penny Moore.

    “This variant contains many mutations that we are not familiar with,” she added.

    The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said it will soon meet South African experts to discuss the variant.

    “There are so many variants out there but some of them are of no consequence on the trajectory of the epidemic,” Africa CDC head John Nkengasong told a news conference on Thursday.

    After a slow start to South Africa’s vaccination campaign, around 41 per cent of adults have received at least a single dose, while 35 per cent are fully vaccinated. Those numbers are far above the continental average of 6.6 per cent of people vaccinated.

    South Africa is aiming to inoculate 70 per cent of its 59 million people.

    With stockpiles of 16.5 million shots, South Africa has deferred taking delivery of more ordered doses because “we are getting vaccines in faster than we are using” them, health ministry director Nicholas Crisp said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Jonathan lauds Gowon over NYSC scheme, civil war reconciliation

    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan 2027 bid

    AGF, Jonathan oppose 2027 eligibility suit

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu era records $8bn capital spending milestone – IMPI

    Togo announces visa-free entry policy for all African passport holders for stays of up to 30 days.

    Togo grants visa-free entry to all African citizens

    EFCC declares ex-minister Sadiya Farouq wanted for alleged fraud

    Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister

    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Jonathan lauds Gowon over NYSC scheme, civil war reconciliation

    May 19, 2026
    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan 2027 bid

    AGF, Jonathan oppose 2027 eligibility suit

    May 19, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu era records $8bn capital spending milestone – IMPI

    May 19, 2026
    Togo announces visa-free entry policy for all African passport holders for stays of up to 30 days.

    Togo grants visa-free entry to all African citizens

    May 19, 2026
    lMaresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.