Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Russian forces seize Chernobyl nuclear power plant

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 25, 2022No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Chernobyl nuclear plant
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Russian military forces have seized control of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, Ukrainian officials say.

    Presidential adviser Mykhailo Podoliak said the “totally pointless attack” on Thursday amounted to “one of the most serious threats in Europe today”.

    An explosion at Chernobyl in 1986 led to the worst nuclear disaster in human history, both in cost and casualty.

    Ukraine’s president warned such a disaster could happen again if Russia continued its invasion.

    “Our defenders are giving their lives so that the tragedy of 1986 will not be repeated,” President Volodymyr Zelensky wrote earlier on Twitter.

    “This is a declaration of war against the whole of Europe.”

    The Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has also warned of the possibility of “another ecological disaster” at the site.

    • Missiles rain down around Ukraine

    Chernobyl’s “exclusion zone” – a 32 km (19 mile) radius around the plant – remains largely devoid of life 36 years after a faulty reactor caused a major explosion at the plant.

    The plant’s three other reactors were all shut down by 2000 and it has since been decommissioned.

    Radiation levels in the area remain dangerously high since the 1986 leak, chronicled in an eponymous HBO mini-series in 2019 that helped make the site a tourist attraction.

    Russian troops reportedly entered the exclusion zone earlier on Thursday before crossing over into Ukraine.

    The White House says it has received reports that staff are being held hostage at the site by Russian soldiers.

    The forces are part of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s “special military operation” in their neighbouring country.

    Chernobyl is located about 130 km (80 miles) north of the capital Kyiv and could provide a path into the city for the invading forces.

    Samantha Turner, a security fellow at the Truman National Security Project, says control of the area does not have “battle-determining significance” but gives Russian forces a corridor to the Dnipro River.

    The river runs north into Belarus, whose president has closely aligned himself with Mr Putin, and south to Kyiv.

    “It’s an important part of them opening up different corridors for troop movement and controlling key terrain,” she said.

    She warned that, while nobody lives in the area and the plant is no longer active, any active fighting over the territory could cause radioactive waste spillage.

    But Russians are among the world’s most experienced nuclear operators, notes Claire Corkhill, a radioactive waste materials professor from the University of Sheffield.

    She has worked as part of the international clean-up effort at Chernobyl for the past six years, even visiting the site three times.

    The most significant success in these collaborations was the recent construction of a 32,000-tonne dome around the radioactive reactor, funded at a cost of $1.5b (£1.1b) by more than 30 countries.

    Ms Corkhill now worries the invasion of Ukraine will effectively pause these operations.

    “30 years have passed since the accident and we’ve still not cleaned everything up,” she told the BBC. “It’s easily another 50-year programme.”

    “If people aren’t properly working on that facility, and progressing the decommissioning, it could be a really big problem.”

    The 1986 explosion is often linked to the eventual fall of the Soviet Union five years later.

    Dr Taras Kuzio, research fellow at the Henry Jackson Society, says the seizure of Chernobyl is therefore best looked at as a symbolic win for President Putin.

    “Putin has the mindset of somebody who cannot get over the fact the USSR disintegrated 30 years ago, and it all began to disintegrate after Chernobyl,” Dr Kuzio, who is of Ukrainian descent, said.

    He fears that, while Mr Putin may simply be using the threat of nuclear weaponry to ward off the West, he is operating like a “sociopath” and his actions should be watched closely.

    “What he’s doing in Ukraine is unprecedented. Why should we assume he is not going to do anything else?” he said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.