Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    • SERAP urges INEC to probe alleged N800bn APC campaign fund diversion
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria records 330 banditry attacks, 1,460 deaths in 7 months

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 29, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Amina Shamaki
    Amina Shamaki
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    The Federal Government on Thursday said that about 330 attacks by bandits and 1,460 deaths were recorded  within the last seven months in the country.
    The Permanent Secretary, Special Services, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Dr Amina Shamaki, made this known at the opening of Federal and States Security Administrators’ meeting in Birnin Kebbi.
    The permanent secretary however said that the attacks have been on the decline.
    She noted that the North West which was one of the most peaceful zones of the country, had in the last few years, witnessed attacks by bandits.
    Shamaki said the security situation in the zone remained a source of concern to the security agencies and the general populace.
    “From January to July, 2019, about 330 attacks were recorded, resulting to the death of about 1,460 civilians.
    “However, between June and July, 2019, the number of incidents declined, especially in Zamfara State, that had been the epicentre of armed banditry, ” she said.
    Shamaki also attributed the decline to the combination of both kinetic and non kinetic measures put in place by the government.
    “The dialogue initiated by the current Zamfara state governor, Alhaji Bello Matawalle, in particular and the other governors in the zone is worthy of commendation and should be adopted by states with similar security challenges.
    “Application of the carrot and stick approach is an effective strategy that enables criminals wiling to embrace peace to do so while repentant ones are identified and isolated for appropriate actions by the security agencies,” she said.
    According to her , while bandits’ attacks have reduced in Zamfara, the incidents have risen in the contiguous States.
    Shamaki, therefore, stressed the need for vigilance and close monitoring of the repentant bandits by the security agencies to prevent them from going back to the trenches.
    “Another security concern is the porosity of our borders; the borders aided smuggling of Small Arms and Light Weapons from war-torn zones, including Libya and Central Africa Republic, terrorism, cross- border crimes, human trafficking, irregular migration and smuggling of migrants, among others.
    READ:Edo APC reunites as Obaseki apologises to angry members
    ”The Federal Government is doing a lot to improve border security with a view to addressing some of these challenges.”
    The permanent secretary appealed to States that share borders with the country’s neighbours to support the government ‘s efforts by enlightening their subjects on the implication of harbouring irregular migrants and other aliens in their midst.
    In his remarks, Gov. Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi, thanked the security agencies and judiciary in the state for contributing to make the state peaceful and model for other states.
    “It doesn’t matter if one state is peaceful while others are not, we should collapse the Silos that divide us, embrace and understand each other in order to help ourselves in the provision of security in this country,” he urged.
    The governor wished all participants fruitful deliberations and memorable stay in the peaceful state.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    Frank Edoho, ex-wife fight dirty over infidelity, divorce

    Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’

    INEC chairman announces June 20 by-elections and Ekiti governorship poll at Abuja headquarters ceremony.

    SERAP urges INEC to probe alleged N800bn APC campaign fund diversion

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Fernandes

    Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.