Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    NDA Attack: Troops rescue Maj Datong after 24 days in captivity

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 18, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Major Datong was kidnapped by bandits after an attack on NDA
    Major Datong and his wife
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A combined effort of the Nigerian Army, Airforce and other security agencies has resulted in the rescue of Major Christopher Datong who was abducted during the attack by bandits on the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna on August 24, 2021.

    Maj Datong’s rescue was disclosed by the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 1 Division, Nigerian Army, Kaduna, Col Ezindu Idimah, in a statement issued in Kaduna.

    According to Col Idimah, the abducted officer regained his freedom on Friday, September 17, 2021.

    He said the Chief of Defence Staff and Service Chiefs had earlier issued a directive after the abduction of the officer, that he be rescued and his abductors, fished out.

    The spokesperson said sequel to the directive, the 1 Division, in conjunction with the Air Task Force, Department of State Services and other security agencies, swung into action by conducting operations in the Afaka general area of Kaduna, to locate and rescue the officer.

    Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) headquarters
    Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) headquarters

    He explained that the operations were conducted based on several leads received from various sources regarding the abductors, and likely locations the officer was held.

    • NDA: Officers killed by bandits revealed

    Idimah stated that the operations were sustained since the abduction of the officer, resulting in the destruction of several identified bandits’ camps in the Afaka- Birnin Gwari general area, and the neutralization of scores of bandits, particularly in the late hours of September 17.

    He said upon arrival at a camp suspected to be the location where Datong was being held, the troops exchanged fire with the bandits and in the process, the abducted officer was rescued.

    However, he said the officer sustained a minor injury, but had been treated in a medical facility and handed over to NDA for further action.

    “The Division wishes to commend the efforts of the NAF, DSS, Nigerian Police and patriotic Nigerians for their invaluable support, which contributed to the success of this operation.

    “Our operations will continue until we capture or neutralize the assailants that killed two officers in the NDA on 24 August 2021,” Idimah said.

    The Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Defence Academy, Maj. Bashir Jajira, also confirmed the rescue of the officer.

    It can be recalled that Chronicle NG reported an attack by bandits on the NDA , where two officers were killed and one other (Maj Datong), was abducted.

    A Lieutenant Commander simply identified as Wulah and Flying Lieutenant CM Okoronwo were identified as the victims who were shot dead during the invasion.

    The bandits broke into the prestigious military institution around 1am.

    A source within the barracks said the attackers struck when many were asleep.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.