Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    NCoS recaptures 16 fleeing Niger inmates

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoApril 30, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    49 inmates pardoned in efforts to decongest Nigerian correctional centres
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Nigerian Correctional Service has apprehended 16 of the 119 inmates who escaped from the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre in Niger State last week.

    The NCoS spokesperson, Abubakar Umar, confirmed this to our correspondent on Monday.

    Chronicle NG reports that a heavy downpour on Wednesday night wreaked havoc on the Suleja custodial centre, resulting in extensive damage to the facility and facilitating the escape of 119 inmates.

    The downpour caused severe damage to the custodial centre’s infrastructure, including a breach in the perimeter fence, allowing inmates to flee.

    Ten fleeing inmates were re-arrested on Thursday morning, and in the evening, another three were recaptured.

    After examining the damage caused by a severe downpour at the Suleja prison camp, Minister of Interior Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo emphasised the urgent need for reforms in over 240 detention centres around the country.

    Tunji-Ojo vowed that the Federal Government would do everything possible to apprehend the other escaped convicts.

    Giving the most recent reports on the escapees, Umar stated, “An additional three fleeing inmates have been recaptured, making a total of 16 inmates.”

    However, the spokeswoman declined to explain why the NCoS has not released the pictures and other information on the other 103 fleeing detainees.

    On Monday evening, our reporter examined the NCoS website and noticed a flash notice reading, “Escape Alert: Recent Escapees List from MSCC Suleja.”

    Our reporter attempted to click on the warning, but it did not reply.

    When our correspondent contacted a top official at the NCoS headquarters, he claimed that the delay was caused by technical concerns.

    He said, “The delay is a result of technical challenges and a lack of maintenance on the website. The NCoS is working to address the situation.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.