Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    • Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools
    • CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate
    • ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach
    • Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner
    • Two-storey building collapses in Anambra
    • AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free
    • Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Mele Kyari: Protesters storm AGF’s office, demand probe of ex-NNPCL boss

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoApril 22, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Mele Kyari: CNPP, CSOs urge EFCC to activate INTERPOL, extradite Ex-NNPCL boss over looting scandal
    Mele Kyari former GCEO NNPC Limited
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Protesters on Tuesday stormed the office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), demanding the prosecution of former Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited Group (NNPCL) CEO Mele Kyari.

    Concerned Citizens Against Corruption requested that the AGF undertake a thorough inquiry of NNPCL’s dealings over the last five years.

    The group, led by its convener, Kabir Matazu, expressed displeasure that, despite President Bola Tinubu’s resignation of Kyari and the whole NNPCL board on April 2, 2025, no efforts had been made to probe the alleged corrupt activities during Kyari’s term.

    The group raised concerns about the repair and recommissioning of government-owned refineries, claiming that billions of dollars were spent without accountability.

    They also highlighted a confusing arrangement in which NNPCL is apparently indebted to Matrix Energy for more than $2 billion, with the loan serviced through daily crude oil allocations.

    • Tinubu sacks Mele Kyari as NNPC CEO, others

    “It is on record that the removal of the erstwhile leadership of the NNPCL was widely applauded by Nigerians, especially groups like ours that have been at the forefront of demanding accountability and transparency in the management of institutions,” Matazu said.

    He further stated, “It is also notable that Kyari’s leadership of the NNPCL was plagued by numerous allegations of corruption due to a lack of transparency. Nigerians are disillusioned that the president has only stopped at removing the former leadership without initiating steps to investigate Kyari and his team’s management of the organisation. A key issue is the alleged fraud surrounding the rehabilitation and recommissioning of government-owned refineries. The figures and facts simply do not add up.

    “In addition to the billions of dollars claimed to have been spent on refinery repairs, Kyari’s administration also alleged that Matrix Energy Limited invested $400 million in rehabilitating the Port Harcourt Refinery, even though the Federal Executive Council approved $1.5 billion for the same facility.

    “More perplexingly, the NNPCL is now reportedly indebted to Matrix Energy by over $2 billion. This debt is being serviced through daily crude oil allocations to Matrix Energy, for which no payments are being made.

    “This situation raises urgent questions: Why and how is the Federal Government, through the NNPCL, indebted to Matrix Energy for $2 billion? Why is the debt being serviced with daily crude oil supplies? Who were the parties involved in negotiating this deal? Why are Nigerians being kept in the dark about these agreements?”

    The protesters also emphasised that addressing these issues would enable the federal government to account for how public resources were used under Kyari’s leadership.

    “An investigation into these transactions would help the government identify funds that need to be recovered and from whom, especially considering Nigeria’s dire economic condition.

    “Furthermore, such an investigation would ensure that the current leadership is held accountable and avoid repeating the mistakes of the past,” Matazu said.

    The group called on the AGF to immediately review all agreements entered into by the NNPCL during Kyari’s administration.

    “This investigation should uncover the federal government’s financial losses and recommend actionable steps to recover these funds. We demand an immediate judicial review,” Matazu stated.

    The Concerned Citizens Against Corruption also urged the Minister of Justice to push for a commission of inquiry into the NNPCL’s handling of refinery repairs under Kyari and the dissolved board.

    The protesters vowed to continue demanding accountability and transparency in institutional management, emphasising that Nigerians deserve to know the truth about the alleged corrupt practices under Kyari’s administration.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    AEDC public announcement explaining that preloaded prepaid meter energy units will be deducted during the next recharge.

    AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.