Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary
    • Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    South Africa ex-president, Jacob Zuma, jailed 15 months

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJune 29, 2021No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former South Africa President, Jacob Zuma sentenced to jail
    Former South Africa President, Jacob Zuma sentenced to jail
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma has been sentenced to 15 months by the Supreme Court in the country.

    The jail sentence comes after the Constitutional Court found him guilty of contempt for defying its order to appear at an inquiry into corruption while he was president.

    Mr Zuma’s time in power, which ended in 2018, was dogged by graft allegations.

    Businessmen were accused of conspiring with politicians to influence the decision-making process.

    The former president made one appearance at the inquiry into what has become known as “state capture” but then refused to appear subsequently.

    The inquiry – headed by Justice Raymond Zondo – asked the Constitutional Court to intervene.

    • S/African court issues arrest warrant for Jacob Zuma

    Mr Zuma has been given five days to hand himself in at a police station. If he fails to do that the police minister must order his arrest.

    Acting Chief Justice Sisi Khampepe was damning in her ruling. Mr Zuma refused to come to the court to explain his actions, she said, and “[he] elected instead to make provocative, unmeritorious and vituperative statements that constituted a calculated effort to impugn the integrity of the judiciary.

    “I am left with no option but to commit Mr Zuma to imprisonment, with the hope that doing so sends an unequivocal message… the rule of law and the administration of justice prevails.”

    In a separate legal matter, Mr Zuma pleaded not guilty last month in his corruption trial involving a $5bn (£3bn) arms deal from the 1990s.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.