Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    • Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools
    • CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Israeli airstrike flattens Al Jazeera building in Gaza

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMay 16, 2021No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    US, UK launch strikes targeting Houthi rebels in Yemen
    Israeli airstrike flattens Al Jazeera building
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    An Israeli air strike Saturday flattened a 13-floor building housing Qatar-based Al Jazeera television and the US news agency the Associated Press in the Gaza Strip.

    Israel “destroyed Jala Tower in the Gaza Strip, which contains the Al Jazeera and other international press offices,” Al Jazeera said in a tweet, with an AP journalist saying the army had warned the tower’s owner ahead of the strike.

    AFP journalists, whose Gaza offices are in a different place, watched the building collapse to the ground after the Israeli air strike, sending up a huge mushroom cloud of dust and debris.

    Israeli defence officials said the building housed not only news bureaus but offices of Hamas militants.

    But Walid al-Omari, Al Jazeera Jerusalem bureau chief, was incensed and vowed the network would not be silenced.

    “It is clear that those who are waging this war do not only want to spread destruction and death in Gaza, but also to silence media that are witnessing, documenting and reporting the truth,” he said.

    AP President and CEO Gary Pruitt said he was “shocked and horrified” by the attack, adding about a dozen AP journalists and freelancers had been in the office, but were able to flee.

    “This is an incredibly disturbing development. We narrowly avoided a terrible loss of life,” Pruitt said.

    • Israel steps up attacks in Gaza as conflict escalates

    The White House, which has kept a relatively low profile on the Israeli-Palestinian flare-up, said it has cautioned Israel about the importance of protecting independent media.

    “We have communicated directly to the Israelis that ensuring the safety and security of journalists and independent media is a paramount responsibility,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki tweeted.

    Jawad Mehdi, the owner of the Jala Tower, said an Israeli intelligence officer warned him he had just one hour to ensure that the building was evacuated.

    In a phone call with the officer, he begged for an extra 10 minutes to allow journalists to retrieve their equipment before leaving.

    “Give us 10 extra minutes,” he urged live on television, but the officer on the other end of the line refused.

    AP journalist Fares Akram wrote on Twitter shortly before the strike that he and colleagues “ran down the stairs from the 11th floor” to get away safely.

    Mostefa Souag, acting director of the Al Jazeera Media Network, denounced the strike and called for international condemnation.

    “The aim of this heinous crime is to silence the media and to hide the untold carnage and suffering of the people of Gaza,” he said in a statement.

    After the air raid, Al Jazeera correspondent in Gaza, Safwat al-Kahlout, pledged in a phone call with the Qatari broadcaster to continue coverage “despite the destruction”.

    “Suddenly everything became rubble,” he said. “We will be on air again with new equipment.”

    His colleague Harry Fawcett described the strike as “extraordinary”.

    “This is a very personal moment for all of us. The idea that the place is not there anymore is extraordinary to contemplate,” he told the broadcaster.

    AFP’s Chairman Fabrice Fries said the agency “stands in solidarity with all the media whose offices were destroyed in Gaza.”

    “All parties involved in the conflict need to respect the media’s freedom to report on events,” he said.

    • Family of five killed by Israeli airstrike in Gaza

    “We are profoundly shocked the offices of media organisations would be targeted in this way,” said the agency’s Global News Director Phil Chetwynd.

    Israel said its “fighter jets attacked a high-rise building which hosted military assets belonging to the military intelligence of the Hamas terror organisation”.

    “The building also hosted offices of civilian media outlets, which the Hamas terror group hides behind and uses as human shields,” it said.

    Israeli air and artillery strikes on Gaza since Monday have killed 145 people including 41 children, and wounded 1,100 more, health officials in the besieged coastal enclave say.

    Palestinian armed groups have fired 2,300 rockets at Israel, killing 10 people, including a child and a soldier, and wounding over 560 Israelis.

    Many of the missiles fired from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip have been intercepted by Israel’s air defence system.

    In 2012, the building housing AFP’s Gaza offices was among those targeted by Israeli strikes. No AFP staff were harmed.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    May 20, 2026
    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.