Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    November 29, 2025
    Obasanjo says El-Rufai needed to mature before leading Nigeria

    Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists

    November 29, 2025
    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes
    • Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists
    • Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee
    • Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals
    • Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis
    • Russia threatens to ban WhatsApp
    • Tems reveals surprising career path she considered before music
    • Jonathan explains why he returned to Nigeria on Ivorian jet
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Gisèle Pelicot: Public can view video evidence in French mass rape trial – Judge

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoOctober 5, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Pelicot: 'I am a rapist,' husband who invited 72 men to rape drugged wife confesses
    Gisele Pelicot was drugged by her husband and raped by 72 men
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A French judge has overturned a verdict in the trial of a man accused of drugging his wife Gisèle Pelicot to sleep and soliciting hundreds of men to assault her for more than ten years. 

    Lawyers for Gisèle Pelicot, 72, had already filed an appeal against the judge’s first decision to show just video of the crimes to lawyers and jurors.

    She surrendered her right to confidentiality during the trial, allowing the horrifying details of the case to be aired in public.

    • ‘I am a rapist,’ husband who invited 72 men to rape drugged wife confesses

    Her lawyers argued that the film should be shown to raise awareness about the use of drugs to conduct sexual abuse. They described the new decision as a “victory.”.

    Dominique Pelicot, 71, documented many of the acts perpetrated against his now ex-wife on tape and has admitted to the allegations.

    However, 50 other men have been accused of rape alongside him, and the films are seen to be key evidence in the case.

    The judge said on Friday that there would be an announcement in the courtroom “allowing people of a sensitive disposition and minors to leave” before the photographs were presented.

    He further stated that the video footage screened would be “not systematic” and would only be shown when “strictly necessary for exposing the truth” at the request of one of the parties.

    Last month, a judge prohibited the public and journalists from viewing such footage because it was “shocking and indecent.”.

    However, the judge decided to waive the limits after Ms. Pelicot’s counsel requested that the trial be open to the public.

    “If these same hearings, through their publicity, help prevent other women from having to go through this, then she will find meaning in her suffering,” one of Ms. Pelicot’s lawyers, Stéphane Babonneau, said.

    Mr. Babonneau described the verdict as “a victory in a fight that should not have been fought,” noting that rape victims have had the ability to choose whether proceedings should be public for decades under French law.

    The French press likewise called for the verdict to be overturned.

    The judicial press organisation (APJ) has warned of a “serious attack” on freedom of information.

    Lawyers for several of the 50 co-defendants accused of raping Mr. Pelicot’s ex-wife spoke out forcefully against the screening of video evidence.

    “Justice does not need that in order to proceed; what is the point of these revolting screenings?” said lawyer Olivier Lantelme.

    The sheer number of men connected in the case has stunned the French public.

    Police were only able to identify 50 of the 83 people seen in Dominique Pelicot’s films.

    Their ages range from 26 to 68, and they come from various walks of life, including firefighters, scientists, workers, and journalists.

    Many are dads and husbands. 15 of the other men accused admit to rape, while the rest just acknowledge sexual actions.

    15 of the other men accused admit to rape, while the rest just acknowledge sexual actions.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Obasanjo says El-Rufai needed to mature before leading Nigeria

    Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists

    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Prof. Yemi Osinbajo speaking at The Hague’s Peace Palace on people-centred justice during HiiL’s Why Justice Matters event

    Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis

    Russia to replace phone numbers with usernames

    Russia threatens to ban WhatsApp

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    November 29, 2025
    Obasanjo says El-Rufai needed to mature before leading Nigeria

    Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists

    November 29, 2025
    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    November 29, 2025
    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    November 28, 2025
    Prof. Yemi Osinbajo speaking at The Hague’s Peace Palace on people-centred justice during HiiL’s Why Justice Matters event

    Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis

    November 28, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.