Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Florida university bridge collapses causing several fatalities

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 15, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Florida International University bridge collapses killing four persons
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Florida International University bridge collapses causing fatalities

    A newly installed pedestrian bridge has collapsed at Florida International University and police say there are several fatalities.

    Images of the buckled structure at the college in Miami were shared across social media on Thursday afternoon.



    The 950-ton span only went up on Saturday, CBS Miami reports.

    Local media report that an unknown number of people were trapped underneath the bridge, which was built over a motorway.

    Florida Highway Patrol Lt Alejandro Camacho told CBS News there were several fatalities and five to six vehicles crushed.

    Aerial footage shows first responders trying to get under the bridge to trapped cars.

    The university issued a statement saying rescue efforts were still underway.

    “We are shocked and saddened about the tragic events unfolding at the FIU-Sweetwater pedestrian bridge,” said a university spokesperson.

    READ: Armed Robbery: Three sentenced to death by hanging in Ogun

    “At this time we are still involved in rescue efforts and gathering information.”

    Miami-Dade County Emergency Management urged commuters to avoid the area.

    A witness told ABC News that the screams coming from the cars were “terrifying”.

    “As soon as I looked outside, I saw dust flying everywhere,” Tiona Page said. “I knew the bridge had collapsed.”

    Florida Governor Rick Scott responded to the accident on Twitter: “I have spoken with Miami-Dade County Police Chief Juan Perez about the pedestrian bridge collapse at FIU.

    “I will be in constant communication with law enforcement throughout the day.”

    The Miami Herald said the bridge, which connected the college to a student housing area, had long been requested by students and staff at the university so they could avoid the traffic below.

    In August 2017, a student was hit and killed by cars while crossing the busy road.

    Munilla Construction company (MCM), a family-owned contractor that helped build the bridge, tweeted “thoughts and prayers” for those affected by the tragedy.

    “We will conduct a full investigation to determine exactly what went wrong and will cooperate with investigators on scene in every way,” the firm tweeted.

    The university had touted the new swinging span on Twitter just days ago.

    The 174ft (53m) cable-supported footbridge was to be publicly opened in 2019, local media say.

    Costing $14.2m (£12.5m), it was funded by the US Department of Transportation.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.