Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    • Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Five children vomit, die after eating farm food

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoAugust 7, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nigeria files four emergency requests as cholera cases surge
    FILE PHOTO: A sick child receiving treatment from Cholera
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Gidinye community of Obi Local Government Area in Nasarawa State is paralysed with fear following the deaths of five children in less than 24 hours. 

    Gidinye, a community in the LG’s Jenkwe Development Area, is home to thousands of able-bodied men and women, including youngsters.

    Our journalist discovered that the youngsters, aged five, six, seven, and fifteen, died after complaining of stomach aches, vomiting, and purging on Monday and Tuesday.

    Speaking about the event on Wednesday, Samuel Akala, publicity secretary of the Migili Youth Association, said the youngsters had gone home with their parents to their farms near the Keana LG when they suddenly became ill.

    As a result, he urged the Nasarawa State Government and all other necessary authorities to investigate the situation as soon as possible in order to contain it and save the lives of other children in the area.

    He said, “We lost the five children in less than 24 hours in the same community. The children left home for the farm. While on the farm, one of them started complaining of stomach ache and started vomiting and purging at the same time.

    “Within a short time, he began to have difficulty with his breathing, and when he was rushed home, he died. The other children had similar symptoms and died.

    “The case is still on the increase, and we are yet to discover the cause of their deaths.

    “The circumstances that resulted in the sudden death of these children call for forensic findings. I suggest that the Centre for Disease Control and the Primary Healthcare Development Agency should be invited to carry out disease surveillance in communities around Obi and Keana LGAs where there have been reported cases of acute diarrhoea, vomiting, and death of children in the past few days.”

    While underscoring that the community was interested in learning the true causes of the five children’s untimely deaths, Akala urged authorities to move quickly to find a solution to the problem in order to prevent the unknown disease from infecting a large number of the area’s people.

    Dr. Grace Tsakpa, the State Epidemiologist, confirmed the occurrence to our correspondent in Lafia on Wednesday, saying that healthcare personnel had been deployed to the town to collect samples from the surviving family members.

    While adding that the results of the collected samples were yet to be disclosed, Dr. Tsakpa said that based on her observations, the cause of their deaths could have been food poisoning because the diseases began soon after they completed eating their dinner on the farm.

    She said, “For now, we have taken samples from the other family members, but our suspicion is going towards food poisoning. This is because the whole incident happened after they ate food at the farm.

    “The five children belong to two brothers. The family (parents and children) went to the farm, cooked there, and ate. It was on the farm that one of the children started complaining of abdominal pain, and he later died. The other four children also died after developing symptoms.”

    The state epidemiologist expressed her condolences to both families for their children’s untimely deaths and told them that she and her team will investigate every possible cause of death.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.