Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24
    • Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad
    • Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Five children die in bouncy castle fall

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 16, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Hot air balloon kills eight, injures 13 in tragic Brazil crash
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Five children have died and four others are injured after falling from a bouncy castle that was blown into the air in Australia, police say.

    The accident – caused by a wind gust – happened on Thursday at a primary school fun day in Devonport, Tasmania.

    Police said the children had fallen from 10m (32ft), with both girls and boys among the victims.

    Authorities did not give their ages but said all were in grades five or six – typically for children aged 10-12.

    “A wind gust had reportedly caused the jumping castle and inflatable balls to lift into the air,” Tasmanian Police Commissioner Darren Hine said.

    “Our hearts are breaking for the families and the loved ones, schoolmates, teachers of these young people who were taken too soon.”

    Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described the accident as “unthinkably heartbreaking”.

    • 46 Macedonian tourists, children killed as flaming bus crashes in Bulgaria

    “Young children on a fun day out… and it turns to such horrific tragedy. At this time of the year, it just breaks your heart,” he said.

    Paramedics arrived quickly at Hillcrest Primary School after the accident at about 10.00 local time (23:00 Wednesday GMT).

    The children were given first aid before being flown in helicopters to hospital. Four children were initially pronounced dead and a fifth child later died in hospital.

    Parents were alerted immediately following the incident, which happened on the last day of the school year.

    ABC reporter Monte Bovill tweeted that locals “have been running to the school to collect their children”.

    One parent, speaking to a local newspaper, said the school had previously installed such floats on similar occasions with no problems.

    “You wouldn’t dream a fun activity day would end like this,” the woman told the Hobart Mercury.

    “We all feel so heartbroken for the parents involved. And feel guilty that we are also relieved our children were not injured.”

    A coroner’s investigation was under way, police said.

    Devonport, on Tasmania’s northern coast, is a small port city with just under 30,000 residents.

    There have been other fatal bouncy castle incidents. In 2019, two children were killed and 20 others injured in a similar accident in China.

    A year earlier, a girl died in the UK after being thrown from a bouncy castle that eyewitnesses say exploded on a Norfolk beach.

    And two fairground workers were jailed for manslaughter by gross negligence after a bouncy castle blew away with seven-year-old Summer Grant inside, in Essex, in March 2016.

    Culled from BBC

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.