Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’
    • ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai
    • APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    • Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Fire guts popular market in Nasarawa, destroys goods worth millions

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedDecember 28, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Fire guts popular market in Nasarawa
    Fire guts popular market, destroy goods worth millions
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    An inferno has destroyed an undisclosed number of shops at the popular Masaka Market in the Karu Local Government Area of Nasarawa State, with goods worth millions of naira going up in flames.

    The incident, according to an eyewitness, started from a commercial bathroom, commonly known as “kidan wanka,” and spread to other shops around 11:45 pm on Friday night.

    It was gathered that the multi-million naira shops, particularly the sections selling perishable items and electronics, were completely engulfed by the fire.

    One of the traders whose shop was destroyed, Musa Hudu, said that the fire had shattered his plans to expand his business in the coming months.

    He lamented that the incident started unexpectedly when everyone had already retired to their homes for the night, and no one could pinpoint the cause of the fire.

    “For now, no one can say exactly how many shops were destroyed. The situation was tragic because we couldn’t save any of the items due to the intense heat,” he said.

    • NAFDAC confiscates N41m fake wines in Nasarawa

    “Our businesses, which we rely on to support our families, have been brought to a standstill. We feed our families from what we sell, and now everything has been reduced to ashes in a matter of hours.”

    He added, “Where do we start from? Our hopes and plans have been shattered. We are appealing to both the federal and state governments for assistance during this difficult time. We also urge well-meaning individuals and NGOs to support us.”

    Another trader, John Samuel, expressed his shock, saying no one expected such a disaster, especially during the festive season. He stated that they watched helplessly as the fire raged, with firefighters not arriving until around 2:00 am on Saturday—by which time most of the shops had already been destroyed.

    “The few shops that were unaffected by the fire are few in number. The lack of fire services in Karu LGA is a major factor contributing to the enormous loss we’ve suffered. I urge the government to ensure that fire service personnel, properly equipped, are posted to every market in the state,” he added.

    Confirming the incident, the Director of the Nasarawa State Fire Service, Builder Ombogus-Joshua, said his team received a distress call at 11:45 pm on Friday.

    However, he lamented that their vehicle had broken down, and no other vehicle was available to transport the firefighters to the scene in time, which delayed their arrival.

    “Investigations are ongoing, and once completed, we will determine the exact number of shops destroyed,” he added.

    It should be noted that a similar incident occurred on December 5, 2024, when a fire broke out at the Tailoring Section of the Modern Market in Lafia, the state capital, destroying at least 30 shops.

    Meanwhile, the Nasarawa State House of Assembly has recently passed a bill to establish the Nasarawa State Fire and Rescue Service Agency, aimed at providing firefighting equipment and improving fire safety in the state.

    The Nasarawa Speaker of the House, Danladi Jatau, announced the bill’s passage during proceedings in Lafia, explaining that the law would equip firefighters to tackle emergencies more effectively.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.