Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    May 21, 2026
    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    May 21, 2026
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll
    • Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Fani-Kayode will be held responsible if anything happens to our journalist – Daily Trust

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 26, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Daily Trust newspaper has said it will hold former aviation minister, Femi Fani-Kayode responsible if anything happens to their journalist, Eyo Charles, who was verbally assaulted.

    In response to Fani-Kayode’s outrage, the newspaper said Charles was only carrying out his duties as a journalist and did not mean any malice.

    The response titled, “Fani-Kayode’s Attack on Daily Trust Reporter: Our Stand”, Daily Trust said the actions of Fani-Kayode are not only reprehensible, but also constitute a setback to press freedom.

    Daily Trust reacts to Fani-Kayode’s outburst

    “The management of Media Trust Limited, publishers of Daily Trust and other titles, condemns the reprehensible actions of Femi Fani-Kayode, who in a video clip now gone viral, verbally assaulted – repeatedly – our reporter, Eyo Charles in the course of doing his job.

    Naziru Mikailu Abubakar, the executive director/editor-in-chief of Daily Trust who signed the statement said the encounter occurred in Calabar, Cross River State, in the morning of Thursday 20, August 2020 at a hotel, during a roundtable with invited journalists.

    “During the roundtable, Charles asked Fani-Kayode who was bankrolling his recent trips around Nigeria, to which the ex-minister responded with a raised voice, insults, and eventually a threat to inflict bodily harm on our reporter. The barrage continued for some minutes, while bewildered journalists, including our reporter, looked on.

    pic.twitter.com/HUHvSd8mjR

    — Daily Trust (@daily_trust) August 25, 2020

    “The video clip, also released on one of the ex-minister’s social media accounts, was conveniently edited to exclude the question asked by Charles, totally devoid of mischief, simply sought clarification and information, like good journalism should. Said editing paved the way for a social media lynch mob to rain expletives on our reporter, labelling him as ‘rude’. This could not be further away from the truth, and we stand by Charles, and commend him for his calmness during the ordeal.

    • My security men didn’t threaten the journalist, I only reprimanded him – Fani-Kayode

    “Daily Trust reporters are responsible professionals, who uphold the tenets of journalism, as well as best practices.

    “That Fani-Kayode attacks a reporter doing his job, is an indication of the chilling disregard he has towards the media, and its work in investigating and reporting on issues. As always, we stand in solidarity with our reporters, and will continue to fight for the rights of all journalists.

    “After all, journalism is part of the bedrock of democracy; therefore practitioners must not be intimidated or threatened as they carry out their work.

    “We urge the Nigeria Police to take note, that if anything happens to Charles, Daily Trust will hold Fani-Kayode responsible, especially due to the intensity of the verbal threats he issued during the shocking incident.

    “The actions of Fani-Kayode are not only reprehensible, but also constitute a setback to press freedom, in a most dire form. This kind of assault raises major concerns over the safety of journalists in Nigeria.

    “Daily Trust is a completely independent media organisation that does not pander to the whims of any individual or group, no matter how powerful or well-placed in society.

    “We will continue to serve Nigerians – and indeed the world – with quality, reliable reportage, no matter whose ox is gored.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    May 21, 2026
    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    Jonathan: Thugs fly first class while professors struggle to travel economy

    May 21, 2026
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.