Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    • Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    • Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season
    • Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Facebook staff anger over Trump post

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJune 1, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former President Donald Trump has been suspended from Facebook
    Former President Donald Trump was suspended from Facebook and Twitter because of his many lies
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Facebook staff have spoken out against the tech giant’s decision not to remove or flag a controversial post by US President Donald Trump last week.

    Mr Trump took to Facebook to repeat a tweet about the widespread protests in Minneapolis, following the death of George Floyd in police custody.

    Twitter had placed a warning over the content, which it said “glorified violence”, but Facebook said it did not violate its company policy.

    Some staff said they were ‘ashamed’.

    The president said he would “send in the National Guard”, and warned that “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

    The post remains untouched on Facebook after founder Mark Zuckerberg said it did not violate the company’s policy around incitement of violence.

    A “virtual walkout” is taking place today, with some employees leaving an out-of-office message explaining that they are protesting.

    “People can agree or disagree on where we should draw the line, but I hope they understand our overall philosophy is that it is better to have this discussion out in the open, especially when the stakes are so high,” Mr Zuckerberg wrote in a post on the platform.

    “I disagree strongly with how the President spoke about this, but I believe people should be able to see this for themselves because ultimately accountability for those in positions of power can only happen when their speech is scrutinized out in the open.”

    “Silence is complicity”

    Several employees expressed their frustration at the decision, on social media.

    Twitter hid the content of Mr Trump's post behind by a warning label, but Facebook has not done likewise
    Twitter hid the content of Mr Trump’s post behind by a warning label, but Facebook has not done likewise

    “Facebook’s inaction in taking down Trump’s post inciting violence makes me ashamed to work here,” Lauren Tan, a software engineer wrote.

    “I absolutely disagree with it… Silence is complicity.”

    I work at Facebook and I am not proud of how we’re showing up. The majority of coworkers I’ve spoken to feel the same way. We are making our voice heard.

    — Jason Toff (@jasontoff) June 1, 2020

    Others suggested that Facebook should have made an exception to the policy, given its context.

    “We need to strive harder as a company, and industry, to have our Black colleagues’ and fellow citizens’ backs so that they are not having to face down institutionalised societal violence and systemic oppression alone,” added David Gillis, a director in product design at Facebook.

    Other employees used the company’s internal messaging system to try to raise their concerns, The Verge reports.

    Facebook said it “recognised the pain” many staff were feeling.

    “We encourage employees to speak openly when they disagree with leadership. As we face additional difficult decisions around content ahead, we’ll continue seeking their honest feedback,” a spokesperson said.

    Joseph Evans, head of tech at Enders Analysis said that staff at tech firms do speak out against their employers’ decisions on occasion; in 2018 Google staff walked out in protest against the firm’s treatment of women.”Part of the appeal of working for these companies is that the employees feel they’re changing the world, and hopefully for the better,” he said.

    “So the tech giants have to balance avoiding regulatory crackdowns, keeping profits high, and attracting and retaining their highly-skilled workforce.”

    Donald Trump and Mark Zuckerberg spoke on the phone on Friday.

    It’s unknown what was discussed, but both sides called the conversation productive, according to Axios news website.

    “We stand against racism”

    Today, Facebook announced that it will donate $10m (£8m) to “efforts committed to ending racial injustice.”

    “We hear you, we see you and we are with you,” the company said on social media.

    “We stand against racism. We stand with our Black community – and all those working toward justice in honour of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and far too many others whose names will not be forgotten.⁣”

    It is unclear where the $10m will go, or how it will be distributed.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.