Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    • Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools
    • CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate
    • ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach
    • Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner
    • Two-storey building collapses in Anambra
    • AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free
    • Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Facebook takes down Dr Stella Emmanuel’s fake hydroxychloroquine video

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 28, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook has removed a Donald Trump ad over 'Nazi hate symbol' Facebook bans Myanmar military from its platforms Mark Zuckerberg
    Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg is seeking to create a Metaverse
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Facebook has taken down a video posted by right-wing news site Breitbart and retweeted by President Donald Trump, showing a doctor vehemently making false claims that antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine is a “cure for Covid” that allegedly racked up 17 million views before being removed.

    The video shows a group of people calling themselves “America’s Frontline Doctors”, standing on the steps of Capitol Hill, led by Stella Emmanuel, a Houston-based doctor who labelled studies casting doubt on the effectiveness of the antimalarial drug as “fake science.”

    Emmanuel claimed that she is using the antimalarial drug because of a 2005 study, published by the National Institutes of Health, which claims Chloroquine, a more toxic version of hydroxychloroquine, can prevent the spread of coronavirus in cells.

    She claimed that she put herself and her staff on hydroxychloroquine as a prophylaxis, and that she treated more than 300 patients and “none of them died.”

    Yet last month, the NIH halted a clinical trial of the drug, saying that while a study showed that treatment caused no harm, the drug was “very unlikely to be beneficial to hospitalized patients with COVID-19.”

    The NIH also advises against using the drug as a treatment for coronavirus.

    The video has since been removed from Facebook and YouTube, with Facebook’s policy communications director Andy Stone tweeting: “We removed it for sharing false information about cures and treatments for COVID-19.”

    • COVID-19: WHO suspends chloroquine treatment trial

    But versions of the video continued to circulate on Twitter as of Tuesday morning, with one version retweeted by Trump, according to a screenshot by the Daily Mail, before being deleted.

    Trump revealed in May that he was taking a two-week dose of hydroxychloroquine prophylactically.

    Forbes has contacted the America’s Frontline Doctors group and Breitbart for comment.

    The New York Times’ tech correspondent, Kevin Roose, said he couldn’t remember any video that “spread this quickly,” adding that it spread faster than conspiracy film ‘Plandemic’ that was viewed at least 8 million times before social networks took action.

    The #2 most-engaged post on Facebook today is a Breitbart video of a group of doctors claiming that hydroxychloroquine is “a cure for Covid” and “you don’t need a mask.”

    14 million views in 6 hours. (For scale, Plandemic got ~8 million in a few days.)

    — Kevin Roose (@kevinroose) July 28, 2020

    While YouTube took the clip down, a 2-hour stream of the same group of doctors making similar claims about hydroxychloroquine, citing limited studies, remains on the Breitbart YouTube channel.

    There is no approved treatment for coronavirus, and the race is on to develop a vaccine that could be available later this year. Global interest in hydroxychloroquine, a drug normally used to treat malaria, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, exploded earlier this year after small studies in France and China suggested that it could be used to treat Covid-19.

    Public endorsement by populist leaders like President Trump and Brazilian leader Jair Bolsonaro drummed up interest in the drug but subsequent research has shown that the treatment did not benefit coronavirus patients, and further WHO trials were scrapped.

    Food and Drug Administration has not approved the drug to treat Covid-19. Along with the NIH, the FDA says it can trigger abnormal heart rhythms.

    Forbes report

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    AEDC public announcement explaining that preloaded prepaid meter energy units will be deducted during the next recharge.

    AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.