Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    May 23, 2026
    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    May 23, 2026
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy
    • INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action
    • WHO loses member country as Argentina quits
    • 2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries
    • Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election
    • Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister
    • ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition
    • NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Delta State shuts down 201 fake orphanages

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 23, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    One of the orphanages recently raided by the police
    One of the orphanages recently raided by the police
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    About 86,000 fake orphanages are reportedly operating within the 25 local government areas of Delta State.

    This figure was released at the weekend by a group of ‘church ministers’ who alleged that they have in the last two years paid a visit to the various orphanage homes across the state.

    Leader of the group, Evangelist (Mrs.) Mabel Awoniso, said the conditions of many of the orphanages were an eyesore, adding that many of them operate in shanties, without windows, and toilet facilities.

    It was gathered that the illegal orphanages operated by faceless groups are registered with fake company names without signboards. In Asaba, Ibusa, Ughelli, Sapele, Okpanam, Issele-Uku, and Ogwashi-Uku communities, tales of human trafficking and alleged sale of babies by the operators are rife.

    The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Zanna Ibrahim, had last week Thursday told newsmen in Asaba that security agents in the state had been having tough battle with many operators of orphanages in the state, especially in Asaba and Ibusa, where orphanages are operated in dingy environment and dilapidated buildings.

    •  INEC registers 73.2 million voters for elections in 2019

    “We have recorded cases of some of these orphanages operating under poor condition. Under such disguise, the operators sell babies to unsuspecting buyers. We have arrested several persons in connection with the act, and we are ready to shut down many of the orphanages,” he said.

    Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa
    Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa

    Chronicle NG reports that last Monday, the police uncovered an illegal orphanage home behind NTA Asaba where over 21 babies were recorded, and three out of the babies allegedly sold for N1.3 million. According to the police boss, the operator (name withheld) is currently being detained for investigation.

    Furthermore, the state government through the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, had raised the alarm over the influx of illegal orphanages and ordered the closure of 201, while 63,000 fake accounts were uncovered on the net with fictitious names, and had raked an estimated sum of N2 billion in the last two years from unsuspecting donors, many of whom are foreigners.

    Mrs. Omashola Williams, Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, confirmed that the state government had been inundated with the influx of illegal orphanages across the state, adding that steps had been taken to ensure that those involved in the illegalities are brought to book.

    She noted that the state government had closed down 16 illegal homes in the past, Williams expressed the determination of the state government to put a stop to the illegality.

    Investigation revealed that operators of these illegal homes hoodwink unsuspecting donors with highly placed names of board members and colourful letter-headed papers with photographs of sorrowful orphans, soliciting for financial assistance from politicians, foreigners and corporate bodies with bogus account numbers boldly typed on the letter-heads.

    The state government had officially recorded 520 registered orphanages last year, until some desperate operators allegedly obtained registration after offering bribe, a claim the commissioner said is being investigated.

    (The Guardian)

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    May 23, 2026
    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    May 23, 2026
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    May 23, 2026
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.