Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    COVID-19: Sanwo-Olu shuts Lagos tertiary institutions

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 21, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    L-R: Lagos Commissioner for Health, Prof Akin Abayomi; Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, during a press briefing on the first case of Coronavirus in the State at Lagos House, Marina, on Friday, February 28, 2020.
    L-R: Lagos Commissioner for Health, Prof Akin Abayomi; Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, during a press briefing on the first case of Coronavirus in the State at Lagos House, Marina, on Friday, February 28, 2020.
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    ….Governor: If You Feel Sick, Stay At Home
    ….Government To Announce Economic Stimulus Soon

    Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu during a live broadcast on the coronavirus update on Friday ordered that all tertiary institutions in Lagos State be shut with immediate effect.

    The Governor, who is the Incident commander on the coronavirus also announced proscription of large assemblage of people in any form to halt the spread of the disease.

    Sanwo-Olu started by acknowledging that it was a trying period for leaders and citizens all over the world, noting that the virus had impacted every part of the globe negatively, with a heavy toll on human beings and the global economy.

    He said: “the impact has been enormous, on households, healthcare systems, global supply chains, and the global economy.

    On February 27, 2020, Nigeria recorded its first case of the Covid19 disease, an Italian who landed in Lagos from Istanbul. Since then, the number of confirmed cases in Nigeria has risen to 12, so far.”

    Governor Sanwo-Olu said it is not surprising that Lagos, being the most populous State in the country has been the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak. He however assured that the Government was ready to combat the virus, saying that the State was fully prepared weeks ahead of the first reported case in the country.

    “We are also extremely prepared and capable of containing the threat that the coronavirus represents. Our bio-secure isolation facility at the Mainland Infectious Diseases Hospital, Yaba is equipped and able to contain the disease.”

    “As the Chief Incident Commander of Lagos State, it is my duty to update you regularly on this disease, and on the steps we are taking, in Lagos State, to fight it, working in close collaboration with the Federal Government and other partners, including the private sector.”

    • COVID-19: FG shuts three international airports

    Governor Sanwo-Olu said there are eleven confirmed cases in the State with eight among them under isolation and in admission in the biosecurity facility in Yaba.

    The Governor also announced that the index case has tested negative, and will be discharged soon.

    Sanwo-Olu said the rapid spread of the pandemic necessitated the immediate suspension of all gatherings of more than 50 persons as well as closure of all Public and Private schools in the State with effect from Monday, March 23, 2020.

    “You will all agree with me that these times call for us all to act responsibly and abstain from all large outings or gatherings of any kind, be they academic, family, professional, political, religious or social.”

    “In South Korea, and Singapore, the disease spread largely through organized religious gatherings. The issue is of course not religion, but that the virus can spread through any large assemblage of people or gathering.”

    “To protect and save lives, law enforcement agencies, especially the Police, have been directed to enforce compliance with the directive against any assemblage of a large number of people at any location.”

    The Governor urged Lagosians to support the Government in its effort to defeat the scourge, pledging that an economic stimulus would be announced after the State Executive Council meeting next week.

    ‘’The Central Bank of Nigeria has announced a stimulus package that will open up new credit lines to the businesses and sectors most affected by the Coronavirus. We expect that Lagos State, as the economic hub of Nigeria, will benefit significantly from these interventions.

    Under the auspices of the National Economic Council, at which I represent Lagos State, we have established a Special Committee that is working with the Federal Government to design a coordinated national economic response that fully addresses the social and economic implications of the Coronavirus disease.

    The Governor warned the residents against spreading of fake news and misinformation about the disease.

    ‘’At times like this there will be a lot of false, misleading and unverified information circulating, especially on our phones. These pieces of information are often designed to cause panic, and end up doing more harm than good, to the society at large.

    We all have important roles to play by not disseminating or amplifying these messages. We must pay attention only to genuine information as disseminated by the relevant Federal and State Government authorities,’’ he said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.