Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    May 24, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution
    • Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark
    • 2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket
    • Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven
    • Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction
    • Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup
    • Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Court orders ASUU to call off strike immediately

    David GreatBy David GreatSeptember 21, 2022No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ASUU says Tinubu has failed in his promise as strike looms
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The National Industrial Court (NIC) has ordered the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), to call off its ongoing strike.

    Delivering a ruling on the interlocutory injunction filed by the federal government, Justice Polycarp Hamman restrained ASUU from continuing with the industrial action pending the determination of the suit.

    Chronicle NG had last week reported that Mr J.U.K Igwe SAN counsel to the federal government informed the court on 16 September (Thursday) that going by its directive on Monday that the claimant should file its process latest by Tuesday, that they had filed two processes.

    The NICN granted the order pending the determination of the substantive suit before the court, at the instance of the Minister of Labour and Employment, pursuant to his powers, as provided in Section 17 of the Trade Dispute Act, 2004, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.

    united capital trustees court logo lockdown oil and gas Unitech Drilling Company poison atiku marriage divorce healthplus port harcourt fraud Nadabo Kelechi Mbagwu kabul MRA VAT Madu Ozoemena fraud Olarenwaju Suraju land fraud addax cocaine murder fidelity bank noodles custody sexual starvation rape stealing employment scam Stab dupe Ghanaian Fishermen Pardon

    Ruling on the application brought by the federal government, the applicant/claimant, Justice Polycarp Hamman held that since the issues in dispute have been referred to the court, ordered ASUU (the defendants) not to take part in any further strike, pending the determination of the substantive suit.

    According to Hamman, the argument of Femi Falana SAN, the counsel to the defendants (ASUU) that the act of the applicants had been concluded is of no moment and flies in the face of Exhibit 2 dated Aug. 29, 2022.

    Attached to the affidavit in support of the application where the defendants communicated to the Minister of Labour and Employment, their decision to rollover the strike to a comprehensive indefinite and total strike, beginning from 12.01 am on Aug. 29, 2022.

    • ASUU Strike: Court to deliver verdict Sept. 19

    Hamman noted that as the time of reading his ruling on Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2022, the strike action embarked upon by the defendants on Feb. 14, 2022, had not ended.

    He maintained that workers cannot go on strike when relevant sections of the TDA have been complied with by the Minister of Labour in conciliating a labour dispute.

    He praised the minister for acting in national interest by referring the matter to the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

    FILE: Minister of Education, Professor Adamu Adamu (left); Minister of Labour and Productivity, Dr. Chris Ngige; President, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba; Deputy President, Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Professor Victor Osoduko and President ASUU, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi
    FILE: Minister of Education, Professor Adamu Adamu (left); Minister of Labour and Productivity, Dr. Chris Ngige; President, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba; Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) chairman, Professor Victor Osoduko and former President ASUU, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi

    While noting that the balance of convenience is crucial to determining an application for interlocutory injunction, Hamman stated that the balance of convenience tilts in favour of the claimants who own the universities and taken into consideration the interest of the students, whose parents cannot afford private universities in Nigeria or abroad.

    He insisted that the strike inflicted irreparable damage to public university education in the country, lamenting that university students have been out of school for eight months in a country where age is considered for employment and enrollment into the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Nigerian Army, Air Force, Navy and and paramilitary organisations.

    Justice Hamman dismissed the claim by the defendants counsel that the strike was prompted by serial breach of agreement by the Federal Government, saying since the matter has been referred to the Industrial Court by the Minister of Labour and Employment, the defendants are mandated by the law not to engage in any further strike, pending the determination of the substantive matter.

    He said: “Section 18 Subsection 1 of the TDA, 2004, connotes an obligation, which is mandatory and leaves no room for discretion.

    “Section 18 (2) criminalises any contravention of 18(1) and imposes the fine of N100 or imprisonment for six months for an individual and N1000 for a corporate body.

    “In this circumstance and on the strength of Section 254.6.(1)(b) of the constitution, Section 18(1)(e) of the TDA, Section 7(1)(e), 16 and 19 (b) of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria Act 2006, I hold that this application is meritorious and same is hereby granted.”

    Justice Hamman further held that the rephrase by Falana that the court should grant accelerated hearing of the application in place of injunctive relief “is of no moment”, going by the rules of the court.

    He maintained that the applicants met the requirements for granting of an injunction, contrary to the averments of Falana SAN.

    Reacting inside the courtroom, lead counsel to the Federal Government, James U.K. Igwe SAN, said: “I thank his Lordship for the ruling, rendered with unparalleled erudition, scholarly analysis and research and which took into cognisance of education as being basic to education in Nigeria.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    May 24, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.