Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Court fines Trump $5,000 for violating gag order

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoOctober 21, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    US President Donald Trump warns Iran to reopen Strait of Hormuz amid rising global oil tensions
    US president Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The New York court presiding over Donald Trump’s civil fraud trial on Friday penalised him $5,000 for violating a partial gag order and threatened him with jail time for future infractions.

    Judge Arthur Engoron ordered Trump, 77, to pay the amount to the New York Lawyers’ Fund for Client Protection within the next 10 days.

    “Make no mistake: future violations, whether intentional or unintentional, will subject the violator to far more severe sanctions,” Engoron said in a court filing.

    “These may include, but are not limited to, steeper financial penalties, holding Donald Trump in contempt of court, and possibly imprisoning him pursuant to New York Judiciary Law,” the judge added.

    Engoron issued the former president a restricted gag order on October 3 after he attacked the judge’s chief legal clerk in a social media post on his Truth Social platform.

    The offending message was removed from Truth Social the same day, but the judge complained in his Friday filing that it stayed on a Trump 2024 campaign website for 17 days before the court requested that it be removed on Thursday.

    Engoron stated Trump’s lawyers told him the violation of the gag order was “inadvertent.”

    “Giving the defendant the benefit of the doubt, he still violated the gag order,” the judge said. “In the current overheated climate, incendiary untruths can, and in the same cases already have, lead to serious physical harm and worse.”

    On October 3, as Trump sat at the defence table, Engoron said he was issuing a partial gag order “forbidding all parties from posting, emailing, or speaking publicly about any of my staff.”

    • Trump returns to New York fraud trial, complains about gag order

    Trump, the Republican presidential frontrunner in 2024, and his two eldest sons are charged in the New York case with misrepresenting the value of the Trump Organisation’s real estate holdings in order to obtain more favourable bank loans and insurance terms.

    Trump personally attacked the judge on numerous occasions, calling him a “Trump-hating judge,” but Engoron, in his verbal gag order, only ordered a halt to attacks on his court staff.

    The federal judge who will preside over Trump’s trial for conspiracy to disrupt the 2020 presidential election slapped a partial gag order on the former president on Monday.

    US District Judge Tanya Chutkan has ordered Trump not to publicly criticise prosecutors, court personnel, or possible witnesses before the trial begins in March 2024 in Washington.

    Chutkan temporarily removed her tight gag order on Friday, allowing Trump’s legal team time to demonstrate why the former president’s words should not be restricted as his case moves towards trial.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.