Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    May 18, 2026
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    • IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations
    • Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki
    • ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Coronavirus: Global death toll exceeds 3,000

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 2, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Covid
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The number of people killed worldwide by the coronavirus has exceeded 3,000, as China reported 42 more deaths.

    More than 90% of the total deaths are in Hubei, the Chinese province where the virus emerged late last year.

    But there have also been deaths in 10 other countries, including more than 50 in Iran and more than 30 in Italy.

    Worldwide, there have been almost 90,000 confirmed cases, with the numbers outside China growing faster than inside China.

    But most patients have only mild symptoms, the World Health Organization said on Sunday, and the death rate appears to be between 2% and 5%.

    By comparison, the seasonal flu has an average mortality rate of about 0.1% but is highly infectious – with up to 400,000 people dying from it each year.

    • Coronavirus: South Korea religious leader faces probe over deaths

    Other strains of coronavirus, such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), have much higher death rates than Covid-19.

    What’s the global situation?

    As the rate of growth in China has declined, the rest of the world has seen a sharp increase in infections.

    In the European hotspot of Italy, the number of infections doubled in 48 hours, the head of the country’s civil protection body said on Sunday.

    There have been at least 34 deaths and 1,694 confirmed cases. Amazon said two of its employees in Italy have the virus and are under quarantine.

    In the UK, where there are 36 confirmed cases, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has called an emergency Cobra committee for Monday.

    On Monday, South Korea – the biggest hotspot outside China – reported 476 new cases, bringing the total number of cases to 4,212.

    There have also been 26 deaths.

    Of the confirmed cases, 3,081 cases are from Daegu – and 73% of these cases have been linked to the Shincheonji Church.

    Members of the fringe Christian group are believed to have infected one another and then fanned out around the country, apparently undetected.

    The group has been accused of keeping its members names secret, making it harder to track the outbreak.

    But Kim Shin-chang, from the church, told the BBC they had provided a list of members, students, and buildings to authorities.

    “We were worried about releasing this information because of the safety of our members,” Mr Kim said, adding that his group were “persecuted” in South Korea.

    In the capital Seoul, the mayor urged the city’s 10 million residents to work from home and to avoid crowded places.

    Iran, one of the worst affected countries, said on Sunday that it had 978 infections and 54 deaths.

    Countries including Qatar, Ecuador, Luxembourg and Ireland all confirmed their first cases over the weekend, and Indonesia followed on Monday.

    The US state of New York has also confirmed its first case. The patient is a woman in her 30s who contracted the virus during a recent trip to Iran.

    Two people have died in the US, both in the state of Washington.

    What has the WHO said?

    On Sunday, the World Health Organization said the virus appears to particularly affect those over 60, and people already ill.

    It urged countries to stock up on ventilators, saying “oxygen therapy is a major treatment intervention for patients with severe Covid-19”.

    In the first large analysis of more than 44,000 cases from China, the death rate was ten times higher in the very elderly compared to the middle-aged.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    May 18, 2026
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    May 18, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.