Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    November 28, 2025
    Prof. Yemi Osinbajo speaking at The Hague’s Peace Palace on people-centred justice during HiiL’s Why Justice Matters event

    Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis

    November 28, 2025
    Russia to replace phone numbers with usernames

    Russia threatens to ban WhatsApp

    November 28, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals
    • Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis
    • Russia threatens to ban WhatsApp
    • Tems reveals surprising career path she considered before music
    • Jonathan explains why he returned to Nigeria on Ivorian jet
    • NFF in fresh $960,000 FIFA Women World Cup scandal
    • Arteta believes Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of clash
    • Damian Okoligwe sentenced to death for killing girlfriend
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    China orders closure of US consulate in tit-for-tat move

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 24, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    The US Consulate-General in Chengdu
    The US Consulate-General in Chengdu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    China has ordered the closure of the US consulate in the south-western city of Chengdu, the latest in a tit-for-tat escalation between the two countries.

    China said the move was a “necessary response” to the US, who ordered China to close its consulate in Houston earlier this week.

    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US decision was taken because China was “stealing” intellectual property.

    Tensions have been rising between the US and China over several key issues.

    President Donald Trump’s administration has clashed repeatedly with Beijing over trade and the coronavirus pandemic, as well as China’s imposition of a controversial new security law in Hong Kong.

    What has China said?

    China’s foreign ministry said the closure was a “legitimate and necessary response to the unreasonable actions taken by the United States”, in a statement.

    “The current situation between China and the United States is something China does not want to see, and the US bears all responsibility for that.”

    The US consulate in Chengdu, which was established in 1985 and currently has more than 200 members of staff, is strategically important because of its proximity to the autonomous regionof Tibet, correspondents say.

    Why did the US order the Chinese consulate to close?

    On Tuesday, the US government informed China that it had to close its consulate in Houston, Texas, by the end of the week.

    That evening, unidentified individuals were filmed burning paper in bins in the Houston building’s courtyard.

    Mr Pompeo said the US decision was taken because China was stealing “not just American intellectual property… but European intellectual property too… costing hundreds of thousands of jobs”.

    “We are setting out clear expectations for how the Chinese Communist Party is going to behave. And when they don’t, we’re going to take actions,” he said.

    • Trump scraps Republican convention as virus soars

    The Chinese consulate in Houston was one of five in the US, along with the embassy in Washington DC. It was not clear why it was singled out.

    China reacted with anger, with its foreign ministry spokeswoman saying the reasons given by the US for closing the consulate were “unbelievably ridiculous”.

    Hua Chunying urged the US to reverse its “erroneous decision”, or China would “react with firm countermeasures”.

    What is stoking tensions between China and US?

    President Xi Jinping of China and President Donald Trump of the US
    President Xi Jinping of China and President Donald Trump of the US

    There are a number of things at play. Firstly, US officials have blamed China for the global spread of Covid-19. More specifically, President Trump has alleged that the virus originated from a Chinese laboratory, despite his own intelligence officers saying it “was not manmade or genetically modified”.

    The US and China have also been locked in a tariff war since 2018.

    Mr Trump has long accused China of unfair trading practices and intellectual property theft, but in Beijing there is a perception that the US is trying to curb its rise as a global economic power.

    And the latest issue has been China’s imposition of a sweeping new national security law in Hong Kong. The imposition of this law led the US to revoke the region’s preferential economic treatment.

    Mr Trump has also signed a law to impose sanctions on officials who cracked down on rights.

    Beijing accused the US of “gross interference” in its domestic affairs, promising it would retaliate.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Prof. Yemi Osinbajo speaking at The Hague’s Peace Palace on people-centred justice during HiiL’s Why Justice Matters event

    Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis

    Russia to replace phone numbers with usernames

    Russia threatens to ban WhatsApp

    Jonathan returns to Nigeria after Guinea-Bissau military takeover

    Jonathan explains why he returned to Nigeria on Ivorian jet

    Damian Okoligwe, a 400-level UNIPORT student, has been sentenced to death by hanging for the murder of his girlfriend, Justina Otuene.

    Damian Okoligwe sentenced to death for killing girlfriend

    Obidient movement chieftain Morris Monye resigns, cites Obi apathy

    Obi remains Labour Party member – Baba-Ahmed

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    November 28, 2025
    Prof. Yemi Osinbajo speaking at The Hague’s Peace Palace on people-centred justice during HiiL’s Why Justice Matters event

    Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis

    November 28, 2025
    Russia to replace phone numbers with usernames

    Russia threatens to ban WhatsApp

    November 28, 2025

    Tems reveals surprising career path she considered before music

    November 28, 2025
    Jonathan returns to Nigeria after Guinea-Bissau military takeover

    Jonathan explains why he returned to Nigeria on Ivorian jet

    November 28, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.