Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers

    Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections

    February 22, 2026
    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings

    February 22, 2026
    PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections
    • Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings
    • BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC
    • 117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno
    • APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected
    • Osasuna defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in thrilling La Liga clash
    • Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls
    • APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    China: Death toll rises as coronavirus spreads

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 25, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Covid
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The death toll from a newly-discovered coronavirus in China has risen to 41 on the day of the Lunar New Year.

    Another 15 deaths in Hubei province, where the outbreak began, were announced on Saturday.

    Health officials are struggling to contain the outbreak as millions of people travel for the Chinese new year, one of the most important events. Many festivities have been cancelled.

    There are now more than 1,200 confirmed cases in China.

    The virus has also spread to Europe, with three cases confirmed in France. The UK is investigating a number of suspected cases, with officials trying to trace around 2,000 people who have recently flown to the UK from Hubei province.

    Australia has also confirmed several cases in Melbourne and Sydney, joining a handful of countries treating patients.

    What does the virus do?

    The coronavirus, previously unknown to science, causes severe acute respiratory infection with symptoms including a fever and cough. There is no specific cure or vaccine.

    Based on an earlier report of the fatalities, when just 17 were dead, most of the victims appeared to be older people, many with pre-existing medical conditions.

    • Immigration rescues 9 girls being trafficked to Lebanon, Dubai

    But one of the dead in the most recent update was a doctor at a hospital in Hubei, China Global Television Network reported.

    Symptoms seem to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough and then, after a week, lead to shortness of breath and some patients needing hospital treatment.

    About a quarter of cases are thought to be severe.

    What restrictions are in place in Hubei?

    Travel restrictions vary from city to city.

    Wuhan, where the outbreak began, is effectively on lockdown: all bus, underground and ferry services have been suspended, and all outbound planes and trains cancelled.

    The People’s Daily newspaper reports that from Sunday, only special vehicles will be allowed on roads in Wuhan’s downtown area.

    A new hospital is being built in the city, for patients. Chinese media outlets said the new 1,000-bed hospital could be ready within six days.

    Pharmacies in the city have begun to run out of supplies and hospitals have been filled with nervous members of the public.

    Residents have been advised not to leave, and roadblocks have been reported.

    Ezhou, a smaller city in Hubei, shut its railway station. The city of Enshi has suspended all bus services.

    And the rest of China?

    Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, raised the alert level to the highest level of emergency on Saturday, and extended the school holiday period to keep schools closed for two more weeks.

    City officials in the capital, Beijing, and Shanghai have asked residents who return from affected areas to stay at home for 14 days to prevent the spread of the virus, local media report.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers

    Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings

    PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

    117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers

    Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections

    February 22, 2026
    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings

    February 22, 2026
    PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    February 22, 2026
    117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

    117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

    February 22, 2026
    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.