Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has been conferred with the Dan Amana title by the Emir of Daura on Saturday

    Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role

    May 23, 2026
    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde govt over Oyo school abduction

    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde over Oyo school abduction

    May 23, 2026
    Donald Trump announces new US green card application policy affecting Nigerians and other foreign nationals.

    Trump orders Nigerians, others to apply for green cards from home countries

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role
    • Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde over Oyo school abduction
    • Trump orders Nigerians, others to apply for green cards from home countries
    • Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’
    • ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai
    • Fayemi reveals how Obi agreed to greet Tinubu at Vatican event
    • APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Army hands over 86 Boko Haram child fighters to govt

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 8, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Boko Haram child soldiers that were handed over to Borno govt after rehabilitation
    Boko Haram child soldiers that were handed over to Borno govt after rehabilitation
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Defence Headquarters has disclosed that Operation Safe Corridor (OPSC) of Nigerian Military has handed over 86 Boko Haram child fighters to Borno State Rehabilitation Centre in Bulumkutu.

    The acting Director of Defence Information, Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, in a statement on Thursday, said that the fighters voluntarily surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.

    Nwachukwu said the move was part of effort to ensure that minors and other repentant Boko Haram fighters in the North East were given the necessary support and opportunity to embrace peace through the auspices of OPSC.

    He added that the repentant child fighters would undergo comprehensive Child Care Programme sponsored and organized by United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in conjunction with Borno State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development.

    According to him, the child fighters who are between ages 10 19 are part of over 1,370 Boko Haram fighters who have so far surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.

    Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai insists on Operation Positive Identification
    Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai

    “After a thorough profiling and screening, the minors were considered suitable for the six months De-radicalisation, Rehabilitation and Re-integration (DRR) programme.

    “Arrangement is also ongoing to transfer another set of 500 repentant insurgents to Operation Safe Corridor for DRR Programme.

    • Border closure good but bad for Nigeria – LCCI

    “The handover ceremony was witnessed by the Borno State Commissioner of Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo and UNICEF Official, Mr Clement Adams.

    “They congratulated the surrendered fighters for laying down their arms and urged them to take advantage of the DRR programme to turn a new leaf and abandon the senseless struggle.

    “Operation Safe Corridor is a Defence Headquarters led non-kinetic multi-national and multi-agency humanitarian operation conducted in tandem with extant international humanitarian laws to encourage willing and repentant Boko Haram terrorists in the North East to shun violent extremism.

    “The operation is designed to also de-radicalise, rehabilitate and re-integrate repentant Boko Haram combatants who willingly surrender to troops.

    “The scheme is a global model that enjoys collaboration and support from local and international Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) as well as Multi-national Organisations,” he said.

    Nwachukwu said that the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) had called on willing Boko Haram fighters to abandon the futile struggle and surrender to the troops.

    According to him, those who voluntarily surrender to troops are guaranteed of safety and will benefit from the Operation Safe Corridor de-radicalization, rehabilitation and re-integration programme.

    “The AFN is further committed to its strict adherence to the rules of engagement and other extant laws especially as it relates to minors in conflict situations,” he said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has been conferred with the Dan Amana title by the Emir of Daura on Saturday

    Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role

    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde govt over Oyo school abduction

    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde over Oyo school abduction

    Donald Trump announces new US green card application policy affecting Nigerians and other foreign nationals.

    Trump orders Nigerians, others to apply for green cards from home countries

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    Fayemi reveals how Obi agreed to greet Tinubu at Vatican event

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has been conferred with the Dan Amana title by the Emir of Daura on Saturday

    Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role

    May 23, 2026
    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde govt over Oyo school abduction

    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde over Oyo school abduction

    May 23, 2026
    Donald Trump announces new US green card application policy affecting Nigerians and other foreign nationals.

    Trump orders Nigerians, others to apply for green cards from home countries

    May 22, 2026
    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.