Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    May 18, 2026
    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    May 18, 2026
    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica
    • Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale
    • Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action
    • Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    • IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations
    • Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki
    • ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Arewa, Shari’ah Council demands compensation for the killing of 50 herdsmen

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJanuary 30, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Arewa youths to protest relocation of FAAN, CBN offices to Lagos
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The mouthpiece of Northern Nigeria, the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), and the Supreme Council for Shari’ah in Nigeria have called for compensation to be paid to families of 50 pastoralists and butchers allegedly killed in drone strikes in Doma, Nasarawa State.

    In separate statements and media briefings yesterday, both organizations also urged the Federal Government to investigate the circumstances leading to the killing of the herders and butchers.

    In a statement by its Secretary General Murtala Aliyu, the ACF said: “The circumstances surrounding the killing of pastoralists who went to Makurdi, the Benue State capital, to retrieve 1,250 impounded cattle from the Benue Livestock guards after paying a fine of N29 million to the guards, only to be killed by unknown people, calls for a thorough investigation.”

    It added: “The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) is calling on the Federal Government to, as a matter of urgency, conduct an investigation surrounding the murder of over 50 pastoralists and butchers around Doma, Nasarawa State, by a purported drone strike on January 25, 2023.

    “To our knowledge, only government has the power to deploy armed drones. Sources told the ACF that the drone strike happened while the livestock was being offloaded after the owners were forced to take back their cattle in trucks from Makurdi.

    “This incident came barely six months after a similar incident in which hundreds of livestock were killed when a helicopter gunship belonging to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) from the Makurdi Base Operation carried out a strike, killing and wounding the animals and some herders in Awe, also in Nasarawa State.

    “In a serious country, the death of one person is enough to attract the attention and intervention of the government.

    The Nigerian air space is managed by the Federal Government through the Nigerian Airspace Management Authority (NAMA). So, we expect the Federal Government to immediately fish out the perpetrators of this dastardly act, whoever they are, to face the law.

    “We, however, wish to commend the Nasarawa State government for the intervention they made so far in giving medical attention and support to survivors and the victims’ families.

    • NAF allegedly drops explosions on Niger, Nasarawa community killing scores

    The ACF condemns this unwarranted killing and extends its condolences to the families of the deceased and the Government of Nasarawa State.

    “We called for adequate compensation to be paid to the families of the victims,” said ACF.

    Secretary General of the Supreme Council for Shari’ah, Nafi’u Baba-Ahmed, who addressed reporters in Kaduna, said: “The recent brutal murder of Fulani herdsmen along the Nasarawa/ Benue border is condemnable in the strongest terms.”

    “This cruel massacre of over 30 persons and dozens of their cattle, for obviously no other reason than that it had happened one too many times before, with no action, apology, or compensation.

    “Clearly, Muslims’ and Fulani lives have become fair game, to kill and maim with impunity with nobody held responsible, without sanctions as a deterrent or compensation. It is immaterial whether it was the NAF or a drone.

    We call on the government and security agencies to transparently investigate and make their findings public.

    “In the meantime, Diyyah (compensation for death) and the annihilated cattle must be made promptly and publicly by the government/ security agencies.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    May 18, 2026
    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    May 18, 2026
    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    May 18, 2026
    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    May 18, 2026
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.