Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    May 23, 2026
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO loses member country as Argentina quits
    • 2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries
    • Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election
    • Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister
    • ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition
    • NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market
    • US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images
    • How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    ANC says Jacob Zuma must go for sake of South Africa

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 13, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma faces 18 corruption charges
    Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    African National Congress , ANC, has asked President Jacob Zuma to resign

    South Africa’s ruling African National Congress (ANC) has formally asked President Jacob Zuma to resign “for the sake of the country”.

    But despite the ANC’s top leadership deciding to “recall” him “urgently”, the scandal-hit Mr Zuma was still in power on Tuesday.

    He is expected to respond to the request on Wednesday, an official said.

    He had already told them he was willing to stand down in the next three to six months, the official added.

    Mr Zuma, who has been in power since 2009, has been dogged by corruption allegations.

    But he has so far resisted increasing pressure to quit since December, when Cyril Ramaphosa replaced him as leader of the ANC.

    Ace Magashule, the ANC’s secretary-general, told reporters the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) decided the removal should be “treated with urgency”.

    “The NEC has noted South Africa is going through a period of uncertainty and anxiety as a result of unresolved matter of transition,” he said.

    READ: Ambode wins most Innovative Leadership award in West, Central Africa

    Mr Magashule said the country needed to build on the “renewed hope” felt after the election of Mr Ramaphosa as ANC leader.

    “It is obvious we want Comrade Ramaphosa to come in as the president of South Africa,” he added.

    He said the president was expected to respond to the NEC’s decision on Wednesday, although they had given him no deadline.

    “When we recall our deployee, we expect our deployee to do as asked,” Mr Magashule said.

    But South Africa’s opposition parties have already expressed reservations about Mr Magashule’s confidence.

    “The only way to remove Jacob Zuma as president of our country is for parliament to do so through a motion of no confidence,” the Democratic Alliance (DA) tweeted.

    It called the motion brought by fellow opposition group, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), to be brought forward from 22 February so parliament can “remove Jacob Zuma”.

    What has Mr Zuma done wrong?

    Mr Zuma’s presidency has been overshadowed by allegations of corruption which he has always vehemently denied.

    In 2016, South Africa’s highest court ruled that Mr Zuma had violated the constitution when he failed to repay government money spent on his private home.

    Last year the Supreme Court of Appeal ruled that he must face 18 counts of corruption, fraud, racketeering and money-laundering relating to a 1999 arms deal.

    More recently, Mr Zuma’s links to the wealthy India-born Gupta family, who are alleged to have influenced the government, have caused his popularity to plummet.

    Both Mr Zuma and the Guptas deny the allegations.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    AAC’s Sowore says he is running to win in 2027

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    May 23, 2026
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    May 23, 2026
    AAC’s Sowore says he is running to win in 2027

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.