Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    May 20, 2026
    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach
    • Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner
    • Two-storey building collapses in Anambra
    • AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free
    • Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers
    • Cubana cries, says ‘Tinubu doesn’t really trust me as an Igbo man’
    • APC announces Lalong, Gagdi, winners of Reps, senate primaries in Plateau
    • DHQ confirms 175 ISIS fighters killed in North-East Nigeria operations
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Amotekun: ‘No going back’ as rallies rock Southwest states

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 22, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Southwest residents protest in support Amotekun
    Southwest residents protest in support Amotekun
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Residents of Southwest Nigeria has insisted that there is “no going back” on the implementation of Western Nigeria Security Network (WNSN) Operation Amotekun by protesting on Tuesday.

    Pressed to protect their people from unusual forms of criminality that crept into the region last year, the governors of the six Southwest states of Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Osun, Ondo and Ekiti on January 9 launched the joint security outfit with the overwhelming support of all class of people – traditional rulers, hunters, the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), the intellectuals – among others.

    But the Federal Government on January 14 declared the outfit illegal through Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami.

    The Nation reports that to press home the support for the initiative, protesters were organised by non-government organisations and groups in all the six capitals of Ikeja, Abeokuta, Ibadan, Osogbo, Akure and Ado-Ekiti.

    “We are not ready to abandon our people. We shall stand by the people of the Yoruba race notwithstanding the pressure,” Ondo State Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, who is the Chairman of the Southwest Governors’ Forum, told protesters in Akure. He was represented by Gbenga Ale.

    • Buhari condemns killing of CAN Chairman Andimi by Boko Haram

    Security operatives cordoned off the venue of the rally in Lagos, but it held amidst tight security in the other capitals.

    Scores of socio-cultural and militia groups under the aegis of   the Yoruba World Congress (YWC) facilitated the protest to denounce Federal Government’s opposition to Amotekun and  show their  support for the initiative.

    Some of the major  groups  involved in the rally  are the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), Agbekoya Union,  Hunters Group of Nigeria, Yoruba Youth Socio-cultural Association (YYSA), Atayese, Yoruba Reconciliation Groups, Kaaro Ojiire group, Majiyagbe Vigilante Group, United Self Determination People, Oodua Liberation Movement, Oodua Sovereignty Defence Agenda, Ojulowo Omo Oodua Group and the Soludero Group.

    The protesters displayed placards with similar inscriptions like “Yoruba Omo Oodua: Protect Yourself, Amotekun,” ”On Amotekun we stand”, ”We want to know who owns the land. Amotekun” and No Amotekun, No Hisbah.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    AEDC public announcement explaining that preloaded prepaid meter energy units will be deducted during the next recharge.

    AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Cubana cries, says ‘Tinubu doesn’t really trust me as an Igbo man’

    The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced the winners of Plateau's Senate and House of Representatives primaries.

    APC announces Lalong, Gagdi, winners of Reps, senate primaries in Plateau

    DHQ confirms 175 ISIS fighters killed in North-East Nigeria operations

    DHQ confirms 175 ISIS fighters killed in North-East Nigeria operations

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    May 20, 2026
    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    May 20, 2026
    AEDC public announcement explaining that preloaded prepaid meter energy units will be deducted during the next recharge.

    AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free

    May 20, 2026
    Super Eagles of Nigeria players pose for photo before a match.

    Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.