Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’
    • ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai
    • APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    • Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    First of 20 aid trucks enter war-torn Gaza from Egypt

    David GreatBy David GreatOctober 21, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    First flight with US aid for Gaza to arrive in Egypt – White House
    Volunteers gather around trucks carrying humanitarian aid that entered the Gaza Strip from Egypt via the Rafah border crossing on October 21, 2023. (Photo by SAID KHATIB / AFP)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The first of 20 trucks carrying humanitarian aid entered the war-torn and besieged Gaza Strip on Saturday through the Rafah border crossing with Egypt, said AFP correspondents on both sides.

    UN humanitarian chief Martin Griffiths said he was “confident that this delivery will be the start of a sustainable effort to provide essential supplies… to the people of Gaza” and warned that “this first convoy must not be the last”.

    The border crossing was closed again after the passage of trucks from the Egyptian Red Crescent, which is responsible for delivering aid from various UN agencies.

    It was the first such delivery since the war broke out more than two weeks ago between Israel and Hamas, the Islamist militant movement which rules the Palestinian enclave of 2.4 million people.

    Rafah is the only route into Gaza that is not controlled by Israel, which agreed to allow the aid in from Egypt following a request from its top ally,, the United States.

    First of 20 aid trucks enter war-torn Gaza from Egypt
    United Nations vehicles and empty lorries wait on the Palestinian side of the Gaza border at Rafah to collect humanitarian aid to be delivered from waiting lorries waiting on the Egyptian border Rafah crossing on October 21, 2023, amid the ongoing battles between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas. (Photo by MOHAMMED ABED / AFP)

    Israel has been bombing Gaza since Hamas’ bloody surprise attack on October 7 and has also declared a total siege, cutting off most water as well as food, electricity, fuel,, and other supplies.

    Hamas militants stormed into Israel from Gaza and killed at least 1,400 people, mostly civilians,, who were shot, mutilated,, or burned to death on the first day of the raid, according to Israeli officials.

    Since then, more than 4,100 Palestinians, mainly civilians, have been killed in relentless Israeli bombardments, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.

    Cargo planes and trucks have been bringing humanitarian aid to the Egyptian side of Rafah for days, but so far none has been delivered to Gaza.

    • Israel-Hamas War: Aid trucks wait at Egypt’s border with Gaza after deal

    UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres visited the Egyptian side of the crossing on Friday on Friday to oversee preparations for the aid delivery.

    “These trucks are not just trucks; they are a lifeline,” he said. “They are the difference between life and death for so many people in Gaza.”

    The UN chief said it must be “a sustained effort” with not just one convoy crossing but for many “to be authorised in a meaningful number to have enough trucks to provide support to Gaza’s people”.

    “It is essential to have fuel on the other side… to be able to distribute humanitarian aid for the population in Gaza,” Guterres said, warning against the use of aid deliveries as “bargaining chips”.

    Israel worries that any fuel brought into Gaza could be used by Hamas to manufacture weapons and explosives.

    US President Joe Biden had pushed for the trucks to be allowed to pass during a solidarity visit to Israel on Wednesday.

    He has said the first 20 trucks will be a test of a system for distributing aid without allowing Hamas to benefit, with UN agencies set to distribute it on the Gaza side of the border.

    Biden warned that if Hamas “doesn’t let it get through or just confiscates it, then it’s going to end”.

     

    AFP

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.