Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24
    • Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad
    • Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    AGF prohibits police from parading suspects

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 18, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Presidency accepts Kayode Egbetokun's resignation as IGP
    Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kayode Egbetokun
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), has prohibited the Nigeria Police Force from parading suspects.

    A parade is a public presentation of an individual suspected of committing a crime.

    Senior police personnel in the Federal Capital Territory and the Lagos State Police Command informed our correspondent that they were aware of the development.

    One of them told our correspondent, “I am aware of it. I think the directive was given by the AGF earlier this month or thereabouts, and the information was passed down to us. You would have noticed some level of compliance.”

    Another high-ranking police officer in the FCT said, “Yes, we have been asked to stop parading suspects.”

    When contacted, the Force spokesman, Muyiwa Adejobi, said the police would issue a statement on the ban at the appropriate time.

    “The police will react officially on the matter when it is time. We will make an official statement soon,” Adejobi said.

    Mr. Kamorudeen Ogundele, the minister’s special assistant on communication and publicity, could not be reached at the time this story was filed.

    Speaking on the matter, human rights lawyer Femi Falana (SAN) stated that the practice of parading suspects was illegal.

    He said, “The practice of parading suspects is illegal as it constitutes a gross violation of the fundamental right of criminal suspects to the presumption of innocence guaranteed by Section 36 of the Constitution and Article 7 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act (Cap A9, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004).

    “It is equally discriminatory as only lowly placed criminal suspects are exposed to media parades by the police and other law enforcement agencies.

    “While poor suspects are paraded for allegedly stealing tubers of yam or telephone handsets valued at N10,000 or less, politically exposed persons accused of looting the public treasury to the tune of N10 billion or more are never paraded before the media.”

    Falana noted that over five judgments had declared that the parading of suspects is illegal.

    He said, “Even though the incriminating statements procured from criminal suspects during media parades are not admissible during trials in criminal courts, they are used by law enforcement agencies to compel members of the public to participate in mob justice.

    “There are five judgments of the ECOWAS Court and Federal High Courts that have declared the parade of suspects illegal.

    “I have sued all law enforcement and security agencies to justify the illegal parade of suspects.”

    Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN) described the practice as unnecessary.

    He expressed concerns over the long-term reputational damage inflicted on suspects who may later be found innocent.

    He said, “I want to say that this issue has persisted for many years, lingering unnecessarily.

    “I want to implore the present Inspector General of Police to stop the practice of parading suspects. Because such suspects, at the end of the day, may be found not guilty, but the damage done to their reputation remains permanent. Unfortunately, while people widely see and remember the parade, fewer pay attention when the courts eventually exonerate the accused.

    “The Inspector General should direct all officers across the 36 state police commands to stop parading criminal suspects. There is no need for such displays—if the police have a solid case, they should take the suspect to court.

    “It is different when a person is leaving the courtroom and the media captures images as part of their normal job. In such cases, the matter is already before the court and is sub judice. However, parading individuals before they are even tried, labeling them as criminals, is unjust and should be discontinued.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.