Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    • WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases
    • Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations
    • Fernandes named Premier League player of the season
    • Tinubu pulls landslide victory in Rivers presidential primary election
    • Tinubu defeats Osifo to win APC primary election in Ebonyi
    • 2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump’s social media platform Truth Social goes live

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 22, 2022No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Trump sentenced in hush money case before inauguration
    Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Donald Trump’s social-media platform, Truth Social, has launched, in a limited form, on the US Apple App Store.

    The app had similarities to Twitter, commentators noted – Mr Trump was banned from Twitter, Facebook and YouTube last year.

    And some early users had difficulties registering accounts.

    Project lead and former congressman Devin Nunes said it was expected to be fully operational by the end of March.

    Some of those trying to register had been told: “Due to massive demand, we have placed you on our waitlist,” the Reuters news agency reported.

    Created by the year-old Trump Media & Technology Group (TMTG), Truth Social had previously been made available to about 500 beta testers.

    Last week, Donald Trump Jr shared a screenshot of his father’s first “truth” on the social network: “Get ready. Your favourite president will see you soon.”

    Truth Social has already had one update for “bug fixes”, according to the App Store, and is now on version 1.0.1.

    Last autumn, pranksters discovered a test version of the app website and, according to the Washington Post, adopted the username donaldjtrump.

    Twitter banned the former president following the 6 January 2021 US Capitol riot, saying he had broken its rules on the glorification of violence.

    • Trump launches new social media called ‘Truth Social’

    And commentators have highlighted, among other things, Truth Social buttons that resemble those relating to Twitter’s reply, retweet and “like” functions.

    Time for some Truth!!! pic.twitter.com/jvyteDb5gW

    — Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) February 15, 2022

    Big tech

    On its website, Truth Social describes itself as a “‘big tent’ social-media platform that encourages an open, free and honest global conversation without discriminating against political ideology”.

    Mr Trump wants Truth Social to champion “free speech” and eschew the “censorship” of sites such as Twitter and Facebook.

    It is a common view among conservatives Silicon Valley social-media companies are curtailing free speech by removing posts and users.

    “We cannot use any of the big tech companies,” Mr Nunes, who resigned from Congress in December to become TMTG’s chief executive, told the conservative Newsmax network.

    “So we’re having to build this from scratch.”

    Frozen out

    Mr Nunes has vowed Truth Social will be a “censorship-free experience”.

    But any social-media platform on the App Store, and Google Play, has to remove content that breaks the rules.

    And a truly uncensored platform would soon be frozen out.

    At his zenith on Twitter, Mr Trump had more than 88 million followers.

    But none of the other alternative platforms presenting themselves as censorship free, such as Gettr, Parler, Gab and Rumble, has attracted audiences comparable to those of the big social networks.

    Companies such as Twitter “have had years to develop their platforms and build their audiences”, points out Darrell West, a senior technology innovation fellow at the Brookings Institution think tank.

    “I just think he’s going to discover it’s a lot harder than he realises,” he said.

    “If this were easy, I think he would have done this six months ago.”

    ‘Very difficult’

    Last year, Apple and Google removed Parler from their stores, for failing to take down posts they said threatened violence and contained illegal activity.

    It was allowed back but only once it had agreed to Apple and Google’s terms of service.

    “There simply is no way to avoid big tech,” Mr West says.

    “Even if he has his own platform, if he’s violating their terms of service, they could basically push his app out of their app store, which would make it very difficult for him to build an audience.”

    ‘People worry’

    Gettr, which also advocates “free speech” and looks like Twitter, was founded last year by Mr Trump’s former adviser and spokesman Jason Miller.

    “It’s not like there’s the dummies’ guide to creating a social-media platform,” he told BBC News.

    “You’ve got to find good talent.

    “And quite frankly, there are a lot of people who are just scared… because people worry what it’s going to be like if I have something on my resume that challenges one of the big tech companies.”

    Truth Social will also have to be robust enough to repel hackers.

    “We have so many people who don’t want to see us be successful… even foreign governments and other bad actors,” Mr Nunes said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    The Anambra State governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, has congratulated President Bola Tinubu on the occasion of his 74th birthday on Sunday, March 29, 2026.

    Tinubu pulls landslide victory in Rivers presidential primary election

    The Anambra State governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, has congratulated President Bola Tinubu on the occasion of his 74th birthday on Sunday, March 29, 2026.

    Tinubu defeats Osifo to win APC primary election in Ebonyi

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    May 23, 2026
    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.