Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Walcott scores as Everton end Newcastle’s winning streak

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 23, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Theo Walcott wheels away after scoring Everton's only goal against Newcastle at the Goodison Park
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Theo Walcott wheels away after scoring Everton’s only goal against Newcastle at the Goodison Park

    Theo Walcott scored his first goal since January as Everton beat Newcastle United to move up to eighth in the Premier League.

    A dull first half bore all the hallmarks of an end-of-season mid-table encounter with goalscoring opportunities at a premium.



    However, the deadlock was broken soon after the break when Yannick Bolasie’s cross deflected off DeAndre Yedlin to Walcott, who took a touch before driving the ball into the roof of the net.

    The game briefly opened up after that and Newcastle substitute Dwight Gayle should have done better when he hooked a shot over from close range before Seamus Coleman made an important headed clearance in stoppage time from a dangerous cross.

    But ultimately, a lack of quality in the final third proved Newcastle’s undoing as they spurned several other opportunities to create something as Everton recorded a first win in four games to move onto 45 points.

    READ: Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah named PFA Player of the Year

    Newcastle remain 10th on 41 points and need just one more point to be mathematically safe from relegation.

    A win, but is it enough for Everton fans?

    Sam Allardyce has taken Everton to mid-table safety after they were just above the relegation zone when he was appointed in November, but there’s been growing discontent among some supporters over what they perceive as a negative playing style.

    There were calls for Allardyce to be sacked during the 1-1 draw at Swansea earlier this month, with some fans unhappy with their side’s display, and his critics were unlikely to be appeased by this performance.

    Everton seemed uncertain how to break down a disciplined Newcastle side while Cenk Tosun found himself far too isolated from his team-mates in attack.

    The hosts failed to manage a single shot on target in a drab first half and it was one moment of quality from Walcott that proved decisive in a game both sets of fans will be keen to forget.

    Everton are now on course for a top-eight finish but former Toffees midfielder Leon Osman, commentating on the game for BBC Radio 5 live, does not feel that will be enough to keep the fans happy.

    “This may be a victory but it is hardly an exciting one,” he said.

    “Sam Allardyce sends his teams out to win, he is not always fussed about performances. He will be delighted with a win and a clean sheet.

    “People expect a standard of performance. The three points will be important but the crowd come to be excited.

    “There was hardly a chance in this game but not enough excitement. That is the story of the season for Everton.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    lMaresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Maresca to replace Guardiola as Man City manager

    Arsenal close in on Premier League title after Havertz sinks Burnley

    Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Xabi Alonso agrees four-year deal as Chelsea manager — Fabrizio Romano

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.