Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal close in on Premier League title after Havertz sinks Burnley

    Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win

    May 19, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • San Diego mosque shooting kills three
    • Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win
    • Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    • Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Ajax sign Wout Weghorst on two-year contract from Burnley

    David GreatBy David GreatAugust 29, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Weghorst winner gives Netherlands late victory over Poland
    Weghorst winner gives Netherlands late victory over Poland
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Ajax said on Thursday they had signed Dutch international and former Manchester United striker Wout Weghorst on a two-year contract from Championship outfit Burnley.

    Weghorst has won 39 caps for the Netherlands, scoring 12 goals, notably a winner in the 83rd minute of their opening Euro 2024 match against Poland.

    Oranje coach Ronald Koeman has used Weghorst as a “super sub”, the striker famously hitting a dramatic 101st-minute equaliser in stoppage time against Argentina in the World Cup quarter-final.

    Ajax technical director Alex Kroes said Weghorst would provide an “absolute top sporting experience.”

    “He is a high-scoring striker who is always making things difficult for every opponent,” added Kroes, whose Ajax team is hoping to bounce back from a horror season last year.

    • Ajax sign Daniele Rugani on season-long loan from Juventus

    Weghorst, who said he supported Ajax as a young boy as his grandfather was a huge fan, said he had come to Amsterdam determined to fight for a first-team place.

    “It’s up to me to convince the coach and everyone else that I can be the striker at Ajax. That’s the goal,” he said in an interview posted on the club’s website.

    Weghorst has played for several clubs around Europe, starting his career at Dutch league sides FC Emmen, Heracles Almelo, and AZ Alkmaar.

    He went to Wolfsburg to play in the German Bundesliga before joining Burnley.

    During his time in northern England, he went out on loan to Besiktas in Turkey, and Manchester United, where he played 17 Premier League games without finding the back of the net.

    Another loan spell saw him back in the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim before Burnley sold him to Ajax for an undisclosed fee.

    Ajax endured one of the worst seasons in their history last year, at one point propping up the Eredivisie table and suffering humiliating losses to rivals Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven.

    After an encouraging 1-0 win over Heerenveen on the opening day this year, it became clear that the corner had not yet been turned as they lost 2-1 away to NAC Breda.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    Arsenal close in on Premier League title after Havertz sinks Burnley

    Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal close in on Premier League title after Havertz sinks Burnley

    Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win

    May 19, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.