Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    • WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases
    • Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations
    • Fernandes named Premier League player of the season
    • Tinubu pulls landslide victory in Rivers presidential primary election
    • Tinubu defeats Osifo to win APC primary election in Ebonyi
    • 2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Al-Shabab: Fishermen regains freedom after abduction

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedDecember 26, 2022No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    CBN’s cashless policy, fuel scarcity cripples fishermen's vocation
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Fourteen Iranian fishermen have returned home after years in captivity by al-Shabab militants in Somalia.

    They were freed after “lengthy negotiations with government officials, tribal chiefs and Somali elders,” Iranian news agency ISNA reports.

    They were flown back to Iran late on Saturday before being taken to their hometown of Chabahar, in the south.

    Some of them had been held for as long as eight years after being kidnapped in international waters close to Somalia.

    The fishermen were freed almost a month after Somali police said they had found 20 foreigners – 14 Iranians and six Pakistanis – near land controlled by militants.

    According to the AFP news agency, police said at the time that some of the fishermen had been seized by al-Shabab in 2014 and others had been kidnapped in mid-2019.

     

    • Nigerian naval ship rescues drowning Ghanaian fishermen

     

    The group of fishermen was welcomed by family members in a ceremony at the main international airport in Tehran on Saturday night.

    The Islamist militant group al-Shabab has carried out several attacks in Somalia in recent months, including twin car bomb explosions in the capital Mogadishu in October, in which 120 people died.

    The government has launched a large-scale offensive against al-Shabab, working together with local clan militia.

    Al-Shabab militants have been active in Somalia for more than 15 years, have control over large rural areas and continue to mount attacks in urban centres.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    The Anambra State governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, has congratulated President Bola Tinubu on the occasion of his 74th birthday on Sunday, March 29, 2026.

    Tinubu pulls landslide victory in Rivers presidential primary election

    The Anambra State governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, has congratulated President Bola Tinubu on the occasion of his 74th birthday on Sunday, March 29, 2026.

    Tinubu defeats Osifo to win APC primary election in Ebonyi

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    May 23, 2026
    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.