Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark
    • 2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket
    • Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven
    • Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction
    • Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup
    • Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Fresh intrigues at NBC over DSO funds

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJune 28, 2020No Comments6 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Federal High Court Lagos restrains NBC from sanctioning broadcasters over disputed code provisions
    National Broadcasting Commission (NBC)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    As the controversy surrounding the 6th National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) Code is showing no sign of receding locally and internationally, there are hints that another major scandal may soon erupt in the broadcast regulatory agency.

    Late last month, the NBC announced amendments to its broadcasting code, provoking lots of disapproval from industry stakeholders.

    Sources within the commission, however, disclosed that the controversy arising from the amendments to the code may soon be overshadowed by a new scandal, which is related to the expected release of funds for the start-stop Digital Switchover (DSO) project of the Federal Government.

    The Federal Government, said sources, is about to release the sum of N15 billion from a total of N56 billion meant for the DSO, an amount many in the NBC believe is may eventually end up in private pockets.

    The DSO project has remained without progress, as it has been beset by a variety of problems, notably, corruption, leading to the suspension and ongoing prosecution of Malam Ishaq Modibbo-Kawu as the Director-General who some insist may just have ended up a  just a pawn in a huge corruption ring.

    Modibbo-Kawu, was, in February, suspended from office for alleged involvement in a N2.5 billion fraud and is being prosecuted at a Federal High Court in Abuja by the Independent and Corrupt Practices Offences Commission (ICPC) along with Dipo Onifade and Lucky Omoluwa, now deceased.

    Malam Ishaq Modibbo-Kawu was suspended as NBC DG over N2.5 billion fraud
    Malam Ishaq Modibbo-Kawu suspended over N2.5 billion fraud

    They are facing a 12-count charge of fraud and money laundering. Modibbo-Kawu is accused of using his position to confer a corrupt advantage on Mr Omoluwa, his friend and associate, to whose Pinnacle Communications Limited he paid the sum of N2.5billion as “seed grant” under the Digital Switch-Over Programme of the Federal Government.

    According to the ICPC Modibbo-Kawu’s decision to pay Pinnacle Communications, a privately-owned firm and one of the signal distributors for the DSO project, was in contravention of the Federal Government’s White Paper on the switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting, which does not provide for payment of seed grant to any private operator for the DSO, but recommended only that a seed grant be given to an independent company to be formed from the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) as a major broadcast signal distributor.

    This, explained sources, was why the NBC under the former D-G, Mr. Emeka Mbah, paid the first national signal distributor, Integrated-Television-Services (ITAS) N1.7 billion as seed grant to enable it procure equipment and commence operations. Mbah is also facing fraud charges brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

    Aside contravening provisions of the White Paper, sources also disclosed that the amount paid to Pinnacle Communications was above the approval limit of the D-G, as such an amount is only approvable by the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

    Former NBC DG, Emeka Mba is being tried for N2.9bn fraud
    Former NBC DG, Emeka Mba is being tried for N2.9bn fraud

    Modibbo-Kawu maintains that he did nothing wrong, as the payment was approved by the Information Minister, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who told investigators that he relied on the expert advice of the NBC to approve the payment.

    Counsel to Modibbo-Kawu, Abdulhakeem Mustapha (SAN) said during a court appearance that the ICPC cannot link his client to the charges, as the Information Minister did not query the transaction. He wondered why the prosecution is not keen on bringing the Minister to testify in a transaction that was approved by him.

    The ICPC said Mohammed will only appear as a witness, effectively excluding him from the alleged crime.

    Information minister, Lai Mohammed is an ally of Toyin Subair
    Information minister, Lai Mohammed

    NBC sources revealed that the lack of accountability that attended the seed grant will be repeated when the expected N15 billion is released. They explained that the acting D-G, Professor Armstrong Idachaba, who is desperate to be appointed in substantive capacity, is so intimidated by the Minister, will bend to every wish of the minister.

    • New NBC Code: Some provisions are unenforceable – Okoroji

    “The acting D-G is too scared to object to the Minister’s directives, even with the support of the NBC Board. The Minister has been riding roughshod over the Board, an action at variance with the NBC Act, which prohibits ministerial interference. With the Minister able to do as he wishes, the funds expected to be released for the DSO funds could go the way of the amount previously released,” said a source.

    ICPC investigators said a total of 47 suspicious transactions were originated by Omoluwa, who was Chairman of Pinnacle Communications, immediately after the receipt of the funds on 2 June 2017.

    “The transactions include payments of N363 million to one Idowu Olatunde, N274.4 million to one James Segun and N127 million to Onifade. Onifade explained that he received the money as legal fee he rendered to the company.

    “A Bureau de change operator, Salisu Daura, who also testified in court, said he received N167m in two instalments of N97 million and N70 million. Daura added that the sums were converted into $265,000 and $195,735 at the rate of N360 to US dollar, and handed the cash to one Alhaji Sabo, supposedly on behalf of Pinnacle Communications,” the ICPC said in a statement.

    The latest instalment of controversy involving the NBC is around the new regulatory framework it released to the public three weeks ago. The framework, tagged the 6th Broadcast Code, has attracted disapproval and derision from many industry players.

    Notably, it seeks to criminalise exclusivity of broadcast content, mandate broadcasters with exclusive rights to sub-license rivals and empower the NBC to legislate sub-licensing fees if a dispute arises between rights holders and prospective licensees.

    NBC sources said the Information Minister’s disregard for the NBC Board is what led to the code, which has been widely described as draconian and an attempt, according to a commentator, to institute “Soviet-style command economy”.

    A top NBC source said the code was finalised in 2016 and was submitted to the Minister, who stopped its release and then requested the input of a failed pay television service provider, who inserted the amendments currently causing anger in the industry.

    In 2017, said the source, the Minister sent the code back to the Board with the controversial amendments, but it was rejected by the Board, which proceeded to excise provisions sneaked into it.

    The Minister, maintained the source, prevented the Board from releasing the code.

    Following the dissolution of the Federal Executive Council last year, the Board approved the release of the code in its original form. However, when the Minister was re-appointed, he stopped the release, sent the code back to the former pay television operator to have the controversial amendments re-inserted.

    The fear in the NBC at this time is that the about to be approved N15 billion will end up another round of “food for the boys” even as Nigeria’s digital migration continues to be a mirage.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    May 24, 2026
    Bayern Munich's Harry Kane is the top scorer in the Bundesliga

    Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.