Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Parents lament as candidates skip UTME over distant CBT centres

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedApril 28, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Parents lament as candidates skip UTME over distant CBT centres
    UTME candidates at CBT centre
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Some students have cited “poor organisation” as a hindrance to their participation in the 2025 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

    NAN reports that some parents in Cross River also weighed in on the matter, speaking in separate interviews in Calabar on Monday.

    They lamented the difficulties they had to go through just to ensure that they and their wards participated in the examination.

    The 2025 UTME was scheduled to be held from Friday, April 25, to Monday, May 5, and is a computer-based test (CBT).

    A parent, Jonas Achi, said the whole process of UTME has been difficult for his family from the registration to writing the examination.

    “During the registration at the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) Secondary School, many of us parents had to sleep over at the centre to ensure that our children were registered,” he said.

    • NANS berates early morning UTME schedule, demands urgent review

    “The crowd was so much. To make matters worse, as we speak, many of the children were posted to Akwa Ibom from Cross River for their examination, others to local governments like Obudu, which can take up to eight hours of travelling from Calabar.

    “Another challenge is fixing the examination by 6.30 a.m., how does JAMB expect the candidates to make it to the centre by such time to write their examination? It is highly insensitive.”

    Johnson Etim, a parent, said he registered his daughter at the University of Calabar Library registration centre after queuing for a week at FAAN Secondary School.

    Etim added that the office of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) in Calabar could not register his ward after many days he tried to register his daughter.

    “I can’t just understand why the process is now very difficult, for some days, we were told that there was no network for them to carry out the registrations,” he said.

    “After going through the pains of registering my daughter, she was still posted to Akamkpa LGA which is a two to three hours journey from Calabar without minding that many of these children are just teenagers.

    “My neighbour’s son was posted to Ikom, which is a four to five-hour journey from Calabar for the same examination. This is a place the boy had never been to before.”

    Etim added that JAMB was stressing parents unnecessarily because many now had to leave Calabar as early as 5 am with their wards to travel for the examination.

    He said that some parents and their wards had to go a day before the exam and lodge in a hotel, which was an extra cost.

    In Calabar, some students complain that they could not write the examination because they were given centres that were too far away.

    Joseph Adagi, a 16-year-old candidate, said he was posted to Ikot Ekpene in Akwa Ibom to write his exam in the early hours of the morning.

    Adagi said he could not travel because he had no one in Akwa Ibom to stay with and could not afford lodging in a hotel a day before the exam.

    Other UTME candidates had with them medical reports, claiming they were unwell on the day they were scheduled to write their examination and asking for a rescheduling to a closer centre in Calabar.

    Earlier, Peter Obi, a 2023 presidential candidate, issued a scathing criticism describing JAMB’s 2025 UTME scheduling as reckless.

    The board had offered a cash reward for credible evidence of candidates being posted outside their chosen examination town.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.