Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate
    • ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach
    • Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner
    • Two-storey building collapses in Anambra
    • AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free
    • Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers
    • Cubana cries, says ‘Tinubu doesn’t really trust me as an Igbo man’
    • APC announces Lalong, Gagdi, winners of Reps, senate primaries in Plateau
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    MTN begins operations after nationwide shutdown

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJuly 31, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Sowore urges Nigerians to occupy MTN over poor service
    Nigerians flood MTN office
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Telecommunications giant MTN has resumed nationwide operations after a nationwide shutdown on Tuesday.

    The temporary closure was in response to massive customer outrage and vandalism caused by the termination of users who did not link their SIM cards to their National Identification Numbers.

    On Wednesday, MTN announced its return to operations through X (previously Twitter), announcing that its physical stores would be open from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

    “Y’ello customer, please note that our shops nationwide will be open today, 31 July. Operating hours: 8.00 am–3:00 pm. We are also available 24/7 to support you via digital channels,” the operator said.

    • MTN shuts down offices nationwide over SIM blocking outrage

    Over the weekend, several users were unable to access their phone lines because they failed to verify their NINs with SIMs, resulting in their numbers being restricted in accordance with NIN-SIM linkage legislation.

    This blockade spurred thousands of subscribers to storm MTN offices on Monday, prompting the Nigerian Communications Commission to order telecom companies to quickly restore all impacted lines.

    The NCC, in a statement signed on Monday by Reuben Muoka, Director of Media and Public Affairs, indicated that the instruction was issued in reaction to the extensive disruption and subscriber outrage caused by the blockages.

    The mandatory connection of NINs with SIMs, which began in December 2020, was intended to improve the country’s security and ensure an accurate SIM ownership record.

    Despite multiple deadline extensions, the most recent being July 31, 2024, many lines remain unconfirmed. Since December 2023, the Commission has reconsidered the deadline several times.

    Initially, the deadline for the whole network was scheduled for April 15, 2024, with the exception of subscribers who had four or fewer SIMs with unverified NIN details.

    This deadline was then extended to July 31, 2024, to provide consumers more time to guarantee that their submitted NIN information is correct.

    Despite these extensions, many phone lines have yet to be linked to validated NINs.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    AEDC public announcement explaining that preloaded prepaid meter energy units will be deducted during the next recharge.

    AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Cubana cries, says ‘Tinubu doesn’t really trust me as an Igbo man’

    The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced the winners of Plateau's Senate and House of Representatives primaries.

    APC announces Lalong, Gagdi, winners of Reps, senate primaries in Plateau

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    May 20, 2026
    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    May 20, 2026
    AEDC public announcement explaining that preloaded prepaid meter energy units will be deducted during the next recharge.

    AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.